Single core CPU - Dual Channel RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester2138

Hello everyone! Will a single core CPU work with dual channel RAM? Will there be a performance impact? I will get a dual core CPU soon, but not yet.

Yes a single core CPU will work with dual channel RAM, and it should not give u any reason not to do so.

Comparing Apples and Oranges.......

Dual channel RAM is a completely different concept than dual core processors, they're quite independent of one another . There are no compatibility issues with respect to single, dual, or even Quad core processors. The only thing you need to consider is that the board you choose will support the processor you are going to buy now, AND the processor you would like to migrate to later. This isn't hard to do. For example Intel's 965 chipset supports almost all their processors, from Celeron D, Pentium 4, Core Duo, some Core 2 Duo (early releases, not the 1333FSB units), even the Q6600 quad.

Jester2138 said:
Hello everyone!
hi :)

Jester2138 said:
Will a single core CPU work with dual channel RAM?
nobody knows... because there is no such thing as "dual channel RAM", and by the time it is invented, single-core CPUs will be a thing of the past ;)

all RAM is single channel. it is the memory controller which can run those single channel RAM sticks in dual channel mode. as long as you use the right size/type memory it will work, but it's the memory controller which determines whether or not they will operate in dual channel mode.

on Intel systems (and old AMD systems) the memory controller is on the motherboard's northbridge chip. on modern AMD systems (AMD64) the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. on intel systems, the CPU is irrelevant with regards to dual channel memory mode. on AMD64 systems the motherboard is irrelevant with regards to dual channel memory mode.

Jester2138 said:
Will there be a performance impact?
there is a performance impact when comparing single channel mode to dual channel mode. and there is a performance impact when comparing a dual-core CPU to a single-core CPU. to get the best of both worlds you would ideally want a dual-core CPU and you want to run your memory in dual channel mode.

Jester2138 said:
I will get a dual core CPU soon, but not yet.
the price difference is pretty narrow these days. unless you already have single-core CPU that you're using then there's little reason to not buy dual-core right away.

:wave:

Thanks for the replies! Glad that's cleared up, RAM always confused me for some reason... I do already have a single core CPU that I'm using, and I see no reason to upgrade it just yet (though I will eventually). So I'll just make sure my components work together now and when I get the dual core CPU. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back