Single SATA install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big problem with a SATA Hdd in that it will not install winXp SP2.my MB is GA-K8VT800, Hdd is Seagate 80GB. This MB does not need an F6 driver install during WinXp install. It seems that all I need to do is change the SATA MODE from RAID to IDE in the BIOS. I have used the Seagate tool to format the Hdd…so why wont it work??
During install the process gets as far as ‘setup is coping files' part, then it stops at ‘driver.cab’. sometimes it goes a little further, but it will always stop and tell me that the file can not be copied, retry, skip or quit. I know its not the install disk because it worked on another ATA Hdd.
Can anyone help me out??
BTW this is not a RAID setup, just a single Hdd

I don't think you are correct when you say you don't need an F6 driver install.
To install Windows 2000/XP onto a SATA hard drive on the VT8237 controller successfully, you need to install required driver for the SATA controller during OS installation. Without the driver, the hard drive may not be recognized during the Windows setup process.
This quote is from Gigabyte's website for the GA-K8VT800 motherboard manual.

From what you are describing it sounds like it is either a bad disc. (the XP disk is scratched or smudged) or the drive you are using to read the disk is bad. I have had BOTH instances occur when installing XP. try cleaning the disk or obtaining another one. and if you have another optical drive handy try using it.

just for the heck of it load the drivers
iss has valid point
when I came up with error just like this it was a optical device going bad on one machine and on another it was a bad emergency copy
but as a further note
on some incomplete installs you must reformat disc again ,this seems to be a glitch in MS install in overwrite of the cab and or driver files

Thanks all, but I had originally tried the F6 thing without success, then spoke to Gigabyte support who told me that I DO NOT need the drivers. I just need to set the SATA MODE in the BIOS to IDE.
The CD ROM and WinXp disk are both fine because I have been able to use both to install on an ATA Hdd.

Thanks all, but I had originally tried the F6 thing without success, then spoke to Gigabyte support who told me that I DO NOT need the drivers. I just need to set the SATA MODE in the BIOS to IDE.
The CD ROM and WinXp disk are both fine because I have been able to use both to install on an ATA Hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back