Six Things Apple Got Right in iOS 7 and Six Still Missing

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/719-the-good-and-bad-of-ios7/]https://www.techspot.com/article/719-the-good-and-bad-of-ios7/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

You missed MPTCP in the good section. An area in which its competition doesn't have any answer ATM (except for rooted users on android).

I consider iOS 7 a major downgrade TBH. 6 looked a lot smoother (you actually felt like you were using an Apple product) and was much more fluent on my iPhone 4. The only thing I like in this one is the quick access to the Control Center, but that's about it. Even the icons are worse.

Their phones, IMO, are miles behind top of the range Android phones in options, smoothness, feel, features, screen, camera, battery, signal quality... Is their anything left ? :p Oh yeah, price... You know they're ripping you off when their low-cost phone is more expensive than SG S4, for instance.

Kinda funny how all the things they got right were already available on Cydia and all the missing features are already on Android.

Re Bad point 4...the ".com" option hasnt been removed. Where appropriate if you press and hold the "." key then .com along with numerous other options are shown.

In general I was rather disappointed with iOS7 as it was billed as being a major overhaul...really?. The phrase 'Style over substance' comes to mind.

The three-dimensionality of the home screens for example...who gives a stuff? Let me customise my home screen and choose my default apps and place icons where I want them (with gaps between icons *gasp!*) instead of poncing about with this sort of frippery.

If only Apple would get over itself and put the user front and centre for a change. Instead, Apple continues with its self-important and arrogant "Apple knows best" philosophy which I find irritating and rather insulting.

"It's convenient that it the timestamps aren't always there to serve as a distraction but can be accessed on-the-fly."

I laughed at this..distraction really? I for one like knowing when I receive a message. The distraction is doing a swipe to see the time stamp. As other comments have said, it looks like all the good came from Android.

I somewhat disagree with #3 in things missed in iOS7. I think it's more common for people to selectively delete items in their mailbox than to delete the all. It's more common for people to mark all as read (which is available). I hear where you're coming from though and if you do find yourself deleting a lot of email (instead of marking it read or archiving it - as Gmail selfishly has taught us to do) - it's a feature that can be sorely missed. I personally have never found this to be a large lacking feature. I can mark all as read, and selectively delete the emails I truly don't want and that's really it. I'm assuming that's the majority of email users right there.

As someone who used the iOS 7 betas and had to deal with the .com button in Safari in the first couple betas...trust me, you didn't want it there. The space button got microscopic.

This whole iOS 7 interface looks like a combination of Windows 8 and Android. It has the flattnes of Windows 8 and new features of Android.

You can mark all email messages as read... click edit on the top right, Mark All on the bottom left...then Mark as Read... TADA

gg

I think we should be able to delete stock apps. Also, the new keyboard layout on safari is annoying since I always hit the period key when I want a space since the period button is way to close to the space key. Those are really my only gripes. I dont really think a landscape mode on such a narrow device makes sense. Maybe if we get bigger screens it will make sense. Also, 3rd party keyboards wouldnt really make sense because the Apple keyboard isnt that bad. The only real 3rd party keyboard I want is Swype. That is it.

You can only think Apple's keyboard is OK if you haven't used anything else. Even my old HTC Win Mob 6.5's keyboard was better. Have you ever used Adaptxt on Android? What is the worst of Apple's kb? 1. Always shows capital letters even in lower case mode. 2. Do not show extended characters on keyboard which is an issue if you're not English. 3. Do not have the option to hold in a key to get a number, you have to go into a sub menu - really bad. 4. Only use Apple's kb, nobody else is allowed.

Apple will always stick to their model of having control over everything. They only know one standard, their own. This has its advantages, I sure agree. Having a more open system brings many dangers to end users. I believe in choice. Let the customer choose. You can still have a "seal of approval" if you want to and still rip people off. At least let people have a say if they want to be ripped off.

One more problem with Apple. They made a huge bundle of money with iPhone etc. Yet the amount of phones they bring out is a hand full. If I look at Nokia, they are struggling financially, yet they brought out a a huge range of phones with excellent build quality (and I am an Android user). Apple cannot even bring out a phone with a nice big screen. If you believe you are the champion of phones, at least act as one. Not impressed.

I somewhat disagree with #3 in things missed in iOS7. I think it's more common for people to selectively delete items in their mailbox than to delete the all. It's more common for people to mark all as read (which is available). I hear where you're coming from though and if you do find yourself deleting a lot of email (instead of marking it read or archiving it - as Gmail selfishly has taught us to do) - it's a feature that can be sorely missed. I personally have never found this to be a large lacking feature. I can mark all as read, and selectively delete the emails I truly don't want and that's really it. I'm assuming that's the majority of email users right there.

It still lacks this feature. If it does not bother you, it does bother other people. Life is about choices. One less choice available here. How is this OK?

Two comments:

The major downside of ios 7, I think, is that Apple has made it impossible to revert to ios 6 if something about ios 7 doesn't work for a given user. How can I know if ios 7 right for me, my phone (a 4s), and my apps without trying it? This alone is reason enough not to upgrade, at least for a few months

Also, while I agree with your comment about landscape mode and its frequent absence, I don't think you were quite strong enough. For those of us of a certain age the bigger keys of landscape mode are more than a convenience, they would make a big difference in usability. Apple really should have added landscape mode to more apps.

You can only think Apple's keyboard is OK if you haven't used anything else. Even my old HTC Win Mob 6.5's keyboard was better. Have you ever used Adaptxt on Android? What is the worst of Apple's kb? 1. Always shows capital letters even in lower case mode. 2. Do not show extended characters on keyboard which is an issue if you're not English. 3. Do not have the option to hold in a key to get a number, you have to go into a sub menu - really bad. 4. Only use Apple's kb, nobody else is allowed.

Apple will always stick to their model of having control over everything. They only know one standard, their own. This has its advantages, I sure agree. Having a more open system brings many dangers to end users. I believe in choice. Let the customer choose. You can still have a "seal of approval" if you want to and still rip people off. At least let people have a say if they want to be ripped off.

One more problem with Apple. They made a huge bundle of money with iPhone etc. Yet the amount of phones they bring out is a hand full. If I look at Nokia, they are struggling financially, yet they brought out a a huge range of phones with excellent build quality (and I am an Android user). Apple cannot even bring out a phone with a nice big screen. If you believe you are the champion of phones, at least act as one. Not impressed.

I have tried a lot of 3rd party keyboards on Android.

And? Your answer is incomplete. I do not want to bash you, just understand you. Have you worked with Adaptxt? With which keyboards have you worked? I have worked with Apple keyboards (iPad, iPhone) and for me it would be a deal breaker so bad it is, just on the keyboard alone. User input is a primary issue, not a secondary issue.

I also think an App like Total Commander is a deal breaker. For me, I would buy an iPhone instead of Android if it was only available on Apple.

Back