Skype Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

Hello all.

My system crashes on me when I run Skype (ver 2.5.0.130). Well, I should say I can start the program OK, but when I try to do a test call, system crash. Every time. No other program or application I run causes this problem, and I run Second Life, which is very intensive on RAM and graphics.

These are the error codes it generates:

BCCode: 100000d1 BCP1: 00162AA4 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: BAABA7F3 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 251_1

And 4 Minidumps are attached in a single zip file.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

All your minidumps crash at sfng32.sys. This is the Skype driver.

Check for any updated versions of Skype. If that doesn`t help, uninstall Skype.

The Skype driver is probably causing a conflict and taking Windows down with it.

Regards Howard :)

Well, bugger.

I am running (or I should say, I am trying to run) the latest version of Skype available. No matter how often I uninstall, re-install, re-download the installer, or even install it to a non-default directory, I get the same exact problem, every time. No matter how many problem reports I send them, they never answer... though they always are quite curious to know the reasons why when I uninstall their "fine" product.

I sent them my minidumps in the latest problem. Maybe now they'll get a clue.

Many thanks for the help :)

You're not alone

I've had a problem with Skype crashing for months and I've never heard back on any support requests even though there are at least 4 forums at Skype discussing the problem I have. I've also started a bug report on their developer network and nothing from that either. Don't get your hopes up.

It would be one thing if Skype was free... I only used the paid services. I have 2 SkypeIn numbers that I can't use. I'm looking for other options now.

They kept sending me e-mails with all the typical "Try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for.." and "Make sure your service packs are up to date.." etc. After about 12-exchanges, I finally cornered them and said:

"OK - you can *stop* sending me tips and advice.

It's worthless.

You are sending me the very same regurgitated template advice you started out with and are not giving me any NEW information. I am a computer tech. I have all the Windows updates. I have all the latest drivers for my hardware. I have antivirus software which I run *EVERY DAY*. I even have SPysweeper to keep out SPYWARE (you all *missed* that one). And, yes, I have downloaded the "latest" version of Skpye about 10 dozen times by now.

I love the way that you tell me to make sure I have no viruses, but then want me to *TURN OFF* my AV software while running Skype. Get a clue, folks - the reason my computer is free from viruses (and spyware) is because I *NEVER* turn those programs off!!!

I have shown my minidumps to other technicians - they say that the Skype driver is where the problem is. The problem is *NOT* with my computer, nor MY software, nor MY hardware - it is SKYPE that is the problem. Period. Nothing else I own causes ANY problems on my computer. Do you understand? *Nothing.*

Skype. Does. Not. Work. On. My. Computer. Because. Skype. Is. Broken.

*THAT* is the problem.

Until you are able to fix *THAT* problem, stop sending me "advice" on how to "fix" my computer, because this computer is *NOT* broken.

Regards,"

They sent me this...

"Thank you for contacting Skype Support.

We are aware of this problem and are working hard on fixing it as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause"

That`s absolutely brilliant mate. Good on yer for sticking it to `em.

It nice that they finally owned up to knowing about the problem.

Please keep us posted as to any outcome.

Good luck.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back