Skype experiencing major outage worldwide

By Shawn Knight
Sep 21, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft’s Skype is suffering from a case of the Monday Blues. The popular video and voice chat application is experiencing a major service disruption worldwide that has rendered it useless for millions.

It’s not uncommon for major apps to experience intermittent issues every now and again but that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

The Skype team said in its initial blog post – information that has since been deleted – that they have detected an issue with the status settings of Skype. Those affected by the issue will not be able to change their status and their contacts will all show as offline. As a result, this will prevent users from placing calls.

If you aren’t already connected to Skype, it doesn’t appear as though you’ll be able to do so until the matter is sorted out.

The status issue doesn’t affect Skype for Web, Microsoft said. What’s more, instant messages are being delivered as usual.

The blog post was updated at 15:00 UTC by Leonas Sendrauskas who said they’ve identified the network issue and are in the process of reconnecting users and restoring full service. Sendrauskas added that Skype for Business wasn’t affected by the outage.

Down Detector reveals the issue may be primarily targeting users in Europe (or it could be that European users are mainly the ones reporting the issue).

Have you experienced any problems with Skype today? Feel free to share you experience in the comments section below.

Lead image via Dado Ruvic, Reuters

Permalink to story.

2. noel24

noel24 TS Maniac Posts: 299   +152

Probably NSA run out of HDD space... No seriously, it cannot be M$ fault, cause they make no mistakes. That's why they disabled user input from M$ Updates in Adware 10 Home.
    tomkaten, jobeard and Evernessince like this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

Whether it works or not I wouldn't know, I've only ever tried it once, found out that it never added any value so I've forgotten about it.
  4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 735   +259

Hasn't been working all day. One of my computers is signed in and messages work, but the other won't sign in
  5. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 209   +82

We use REGULAR Skype as the main communication tool at my workplace, so it was certainly annoying.