Skype looks to 3D video calling as it celebrates ten-year anniversary

By Jos
Aug 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Despite the big marketing push a couple of years back, 3D technologies haven’t really caught on with users. But the team behind Skype believes there’s still a lot of potential in this area, revealing that they have been doing trials...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 761   +153

Great more 3D stuff I just don't see whats soo good about 3D besides feeling like my eyes have been looking at a screen for a few years straight then the screen being darker... which is terrible and the fact that 3D is a massive scam.

19 3D films I have watched at cinemas and yet guess what 16 out of those 19 3D films had ZERO 3D element to them except the cwappy 2 different colors added to it.

3D should just disappear entirely its useless and a waste of money and time, 4D/5D is where we should be going towards not this nonsense 3D.
    freythman likes this.
  3. kosac

kosac Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

NSA needs data in 3D? :) thx no Americans :)
  4. freythman

freythman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 122   +10

The 3D fad just needs to die, especially when it requires the usage of glasses.
    9Nails and wastedkill like this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,088   +724

This is awesome. The hardware will be expensive though.
  6. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 619   +118

'Awesome' must have a very different meaning in your country
    wastedkill likes this.
  7. JC713

It is cool but not practical. I never said I or anyone would use it lol.
  8. Voxon have already implemented 3D 'Holographic' video conferencing and demonstarted the worlds first
    3D volumetric capture and display of Princes Leia a few weeks ago at Scince Alive in Adelaide. The demonstration
    was implemented using a Voxiebox prototype in conjuntion with an Intel Perceptual Depth Camera. See video below.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,182   +509

C'mon JC. You must be the only person who thinks this is awesome. It's just another way for them to empty your pockets. It's totally unnecessary (at least in a lot of peoples opinion). It doesn't take long for any novelty to wear off but it does take a while to recoup that loss. This will probably fade into obscurity like the rest of 3d should. They've been trying to market 3d since the 50's and it's never been successful. No reason to think this will be any different.
  10. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 742   +14

If I was ceo of microsoft they wouldn't do such a dumb thng.
  11. JC713

True. I was under the impression this was a hologram until I read further xD.
  12. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,487   +73

Video on Skype never looks so good unless you use HD 720p or higher. 3D for those who want it. I don't just more to worry about. Let's keep it simple and for real!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.