Skyrim remaster requires just GeForce GTX 780 graphics card

Scorpus

Staff member

Bethesda Game Studios' remaster of one of their most popular games, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is set for release at the end of this month. Today, the studio has revealed exactly what it will take to run the "Special Edition" on PC.

The main thing to note here is that the Skyrim Special Edition will require a much more powerful system than the original version of the game. While the original required just 2 GB of RAM and recommended an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260, the remaster bumps this recommendation up to the GeForce GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290, both high-end cards from several generations ago.

Recommended Minimum
CPU Intel Core i5-2500
AMD FX-8320
Intel Core i7-750
AMD Phenom II X4-945
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
AMD Radeon R9 290
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
AMD Radeon HD 7870
RAM 8 GB
OS Windows 7 (64-bit) or higher
Storage 12 GB

The Special Edition also now supports 64-bit processing, so the game supports (and even requires) more than 4 GB of RAM. It will still support existing mods, however, and gamers who played the original version can use their old save files in the Special Edition without any issues.

The remastered version of Skyrim includes updated assets and a variety of visual upgrades, including dynamic depth of field, god rays, screen space reflections and snow shaders. The game will be released on October 28 on PC, along with both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One for the first time.

PC players who own the original game and all DLC packs will get the remastered edition for free on Steam. That means you have to own the original game plus the three DLCs (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn) or have bought the master bundle (called Skyrim Legendary Edition) containing all those items. The latter is currently $40 on Steam, while the remaster will go for $60, so you do the math.

Permalink to story.

Any news on an update option for those of us who have already purchased Skyrim (Like the Bioshock's Remasters)?

Any news on an update option for those of us who have already purchased Skyrim (Like the Bioshock's Remasters)?
I think the "Special Edition" includes all the DLC, so I could see that being a thing for the Goty editions of Skyrim.

What do you mean update option? Do you mean if you own it will it be free like the Bioshiock remasters? If so then yes. If you own the legendary edition or you have all the DLC, Dawnguard, Hearthfire and dragonborn then yes you get this edition for free on pc.

I just started playing this again! I've put in 105 hours ( Over the span of a few years since I’m a ‘casual’ gamer ) and I feel like haven't even put a dent into the game especially since I recently got all the expansions on sale.

Most popular mod then: Skip opening sequence.

Most popular mod on Oct. 28: Skip opening sequence.

Most popular mod in 20xx (TES VI): Skip opening sequence.

I had a save before you start making your char, if I ever wanted to get into it again, would just go in and create a different one, although yes, the opening sequence sucks after the first couple of times.

GTX780 may be a couple of generations behind but it's still one of the more powerful GPUs.

The original story has been updated with the following info to clarify who gets the remaster for free:

PC players who own the original game and all DLC packs will get the remastered edition for free on Steam. That means you have to own the original game plus the three DLCs (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn) or have bought the master bundle (called Skyrim Legendary Edition) containing all those items. The latter is currently $40 on Steam, while the remaster will go for $60, so you do the math.

I had a save before you start making your char, if I ever wanted to get into it again, would just go in and create a different one, although yes, the opening sequence sucks after the first couple of times.

Alternative Start Mod ftw.

I have all dlc and a gtx 970 which as we all know is faster then a 780 so im all set for this freebee update... I cant wait.
Would like to see this done to fallout 3 and new vegas as well.

All things considered, if you had the enhanced textures and mods PC masterrace use, it should be kind of the same, with better performance I guess on having everything OOTB instead of adding stuff one by one. Still excited on the 64bit though.

Back