TechSpot

Skyrim reviews are in: you might never leave home again

By Matthew
Nov 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is only a few hours away and being one of the year's most anticipated titles, it's no surprise that the wire is buzzing with launch…

Read the whole story

2. I loved Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind but Oblivion kinda put me off the Elder Scroll Saga so i might pass this one up or just wait for a sale.

3. Gotta love when u ask marketing guys about Technical challenges, when they not even technical to begin with.

And pc headaches? Dx9 is a standard, doesn't matter what plethora u have, but just specify minimum CPU and gpu and game will play fine regardless. Sheesh.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/pete-hines/1/713/698

4. Shawn Knight

Shawn Knight TechSpot Staff Posts: 8,089   +96

Amazon has a $10 promotional credit good towards the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Good thing I am off tomorrow. :)

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

I'm ticked - I pre-ordered Skyrim from Amazon with game-day release delivery guarantee. Only one small problem...tomorrow is Veteran's Day and no mail delivery. Oh well, as a veteran I'll just have to take in all the love on Friday and get my game on Saturday. :)

7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 738   +247

Guess I have to stop messing around and finish New Vegas then.

I wonder how many of these reviews are bought...

8. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

I'm getting this tonight at midnight...can't wait!

9. Tom, usually Amazon uses UPS or Fedex, neither of which are closed tomorrow. I am a bit worried though, as I haven't received a shipping notice from Amazon yet!

10. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I think you are confusing the USPS, with UPS/FedEx. As far as I know, both companies recognize Veteran's Day, but don't actually observe them. So you might indeed get Skyrim tomorrow. :)

11. Probably not many outright bought (although it isn't like there is a controlling interest preventing this..), but any review done in time for launch is pretty sus.

Launch reviews = good traffic, so sites want them. PR wants them too, but ideally only if they're positive. If a PR company finds a particular outlet is not overly friendly with launch reviews, then they may start to see less and less of them. It's an eco system designed to produce good publicity. While I'm sure there are plenty of launch reviews that aren't entirely positive, the outlets that do them have to have a good enough relationship with PR to do so, so put two and two together - they'll always approach them from a positive standpoint. You can read it in the tone of most launch reviews that aren't A+ or 9/10 etc - excuse making over criticisms.

12. i quit my job for this game :L

13. So the first 3 were amazing, and the fourth one was just okay, and that's your reason for not buying number 5. Good reasoning there buddy.

14. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 446   +17

Considering a LOT of the 100% reviews have a negative mentioned in the blurb on Metacritic is a testament to these reviewers inability to properly and accurately deliver their ratings.

Hmph…

15. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

You guys are right - I got my shipment notice from UPS and in fact, will be delivered by UPS. Woot!

16. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Tom, can ya fill me in on what is so great about this one?

17. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,268   +92

18. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

19. No one has said really that much about the hand to hand combat. I understand it still exists but the skill has been removed and no one can give a good answer on what new category governs it if any or how its damage is influenced by level or health ect. ect .

20. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +12

time to tank up my sneak again.. (that was the first attribute I maxed out in the last game) I guess you could say, I'm a sneaky snake

21. No tessellation

22. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 738   +247

Tessellation is an over-rated gimmick that you stop noticing after 10 minutes

23. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Game is looking way better than I anticipated, might have to go pick it up later today :) . I am reading about some binding/mouse issues with the UI though, but doesn't appear to be that bad. Hopefully they will patch it asap.

24. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

I think ill give this genre another go, thought it was like wow single player last time I checked it out. Go kill 5 wolfs and report back! Bleh!

25. Im probably going to get burned at the stake for daring to insult this game, But after playing for several hours today dissapointment is an understatement.

After fighting a troll across a small shallow river, i discovered he was scared of the 1 foot deep water and providing i stood in it i could happily shoot arrows at his head while he stood on the bank, scared in case he got his toes wet.

First epic dragon fight!!! Dragon flew about for a bit, eventually he landed and sat nice and still till i put enough arrows in him till he was dead..

Horses it seems gallop at the same speed as a human, And being presented with a hill causes them to gallop on there SIDE up the hills..

Control interface is truly truly awful, consoles have a lot to answer for...

General collision detection, Can jump on to some rocks, but cant jump while on it? Running in 3rd person sees my chars legs dissapear in to the scenery, Cant jump over 2 foot high fences.. ect ect

Dissapointing dx9.c graphics.

I could list probably another 50 things, Parts are so bad its almost funny ( exept i paid for it)

Nostalgia and sentimentality aside, this game sucks.