Slackware 9.0 Video X Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattG

Hey guys, im duel Booting fine with Slackware 9.0, but i have this Xwindows Problem.

When i first got into X i changed video settings(wanting larger resolution, correct monitor etc) changed them to what i have set in Windows...

And now when i 'startx' it comes up all garbled and i cant see what im doing.

im not sure if all distros are the same, but am hoping some one here knows how to change to defaults or anything so that i can view things in X again.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Find some way to boot up so that XWindows does not start automatically, if that is what it is presently doing.

Possible ways: boot disk, boot from CD and boot installed system, type linux 3 at the lilo: prompt.

Once in the command prompt logged on as root, and run this command:

xfree86setup

follow the instructions to set your display at a better setting.

the settings file is called /etc/X11/XF86Config, if you get a working configuration you might want to back up this file before messing with things again.

Ok

It doesnt auto start xwindows..so im all set there.

I tried XF86Config

Does this other one work better?

and this Linux 3 thing..i have LILO on a floppy disk so i dont have to screw with my MBR. and i set it to auto start OS. no wait time..prolly stupid idea..but i did.

Tried that...still came up.

I have reason to belive that maybe Virtual Desktop is on?

Said something about scrolling desktop

When i get top Xwindows, i can scroll and see that much, but everything is still messed up.

cant make out anything

GOT IT!

Wow.

Turns out it WAS virtual Desktop.

I Pico'd the XF86Config-4 file and found all my setting there, saw that Virtual desktop thing, REM'd it out, tested and booted fine!

Thanks for the help.

look for more posts..so this one i relavant to searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back