TechSpot

Slackware 9.0 Video X Issue

By MattG
Sep 4, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, im duel Booting fine with Slackware 9.0, but i have this Xwindows Problem.

When i first got into X i changed video settings(wanting larger resolution, correct monitor etc) changed them to what i have set in Windows...

And now when i 'startx' it comes up all garbled and i cant see what im doing.

im not sure if all distros are the same, but am hoping some one here knows how to change to defaults or anything so that i can view things in X again.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Find some way to boot up so that XWindows does not start automatically, if that is what it is presently doing.

Possible ways: boot disk, boot from CD and boot installed system, type linux 3 at the lilo: prompt.

Once in the command prompt logged on as root, and run this command:

xfree86setup

follow the instructions to set your display at a better setting.

the settings file is called /etc/X11/XF86Config, if you get a working configuration you might want to back up this file before messing with things again.
  3. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 147

Ok

It doesnt auto start xwindows..so im all set there.

I tried XF86Config

Does this other one work better?

and this Linux 3 thing..i have LILO on a floppy disk so i dont have to screw with my MBR. and i set it to auto start OS. no wait time..prolly stupid idea..but i did.
  4. MattG

Tried that...still came up.

I have reason to belive that maybe Virtual Desktop is on?

Said something about scrolling desktop

When i get top Xwindows, i can scroll and see that much, but everything is still messed up.

cant make out anything
  5. MattG

GOT IT!

Wow.

Turns out it WAS virtual Desktop.

I Pico'd the XF86Config-4 file and found all my setting there, saw that Virtual desktop thing, REM'd it out, tested and booted fine!

Thanks for the help.

look for more posts..so this one i relavant to searches.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.