SLI'ing different brands, but the same chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

Say that I get an XFX 7900GS soon. Then, later on when new stuff comes out and prices drop, I decide to get another 7900GS. But - what if, for example, there are no more XFX 7900GS's to be found, but there are EVGA's? Would I be able to get that and then SLI the two, even though they are from diff. manufacturers?

Also, what about models? If I get a model-A 7900GS and then a model-B 7900GS from the same manufacturer, will it work (XFX has like a thousand 7900GS's, no idea why....)? And, if they are diff. companies AND with different clocks (for example, XFX's normal 450mhz and EVGA's F-OCed 500Mhz)?

Thanks in advance!

This hapened to me over the summer. I had a 7900GT and couldnt find one to match it so I tried 2 other brands and they didnt work together. Even though the cards have the same chip, different brands use different BIOS,s. I had to sell my card on Ebay and then buy a matched set for SLI. According to nVidia using different brands is supposed to work.

It says on the box of the graphics cards that in order for SLI to work for that card, it must be matched with the exact same card that is inside the box which you are reading the message from.

It will mention specifically that it will need one of their own line of cards, like "...must be matched with another XFX 7900GS..." where it specifically mentions the name of the manufacturer of the card you need for SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back