Sling TV adds support for Android TV, new promotion offers Nexus Player half off

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sling expands android strikes deal google offer discounted nexus players roku 3 android tv nexus player sling tv amazon fire tv over-the-top espn deportes google nexus player streaming internet tv

Sling TV is expanding its reach today as the service is now available on all devices running Android TV. With the announcement comes a new promotion and another channel added to the company’s lineup.

Android TV is available on a handful of devices and smart TVs including Nvidia’s Shield set-top box, Razer’s Forge and Google’s Nexus Player. Speaking of, Sling TV is running a promotion in which buyers can get a Nexus Player at half price with a three-month commitment to Sling TV.

If you’re already planning to try Sling TV out for a few months and need a streaming device, you might as well take advantage of the promotion.

sling expands android strikes deal google offer discounted nexus players roku 3 android tv nexus player sling tv amazon fire tv over-the-top espn deportes google nexus player streaming internet tv

If the Nexus Player isn’t right for you, Sling TV is still running similar half off deals for the Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Roku 3 and Roku Stick (the sticks are free through the promotion).

Android TV is Google’s third (or fourth, depending on who you ask) major play for the living room. In 2010, Google launched Google TV with support from a number of partners. High pricing ultimately kept the platform from making a serious impact, however.

A couple of years later, Google tried again with its Nexus Q streaming media player. The device received such a poor reception at I/O that Google never even released it. The search giant finally struck gold in 2013 with Chromecast, the $35 streaming dongle that singlehandedly sparked the HDMI streaming stick category.

In related news, Sling TV has also added ESPN Deportes to its Deportes Extra add-on pack. Each add-on pack is available for an additional $5 per month and features a number of different channels sorted by category. HBO is also available although that’ll set you back an additional $15 per month, in line with other provider pricing.

Permalink to story.

HBO is also available although that’ll set you back an additional $15 per month, in line with other provider pricing.
Sounds about right, and, as a cord-cutter, is why this remains uninteresting to me.

With an additional "discount deal" so soon after launch, I have to wonder if the public's response to the program is pleasing the wallet pincers. My guess is that it is not...

Back