Sling TV now available to all, AMC Networks programming coming soon

By Shawn Knight
Feb 9, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Sling TV has launched its live, over-the-top (OTT) streaming service nationwide; no invitation needed. The company is also in the process of adding AMC Networks to its programming portfolio.

Read more
  2. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 933   +240

IF Sling were to let me stream BBC America at $0.99/month and no other channels, I would be interested in this. However, this is just current cable/satellite TV over-the-internet. As such, most of these channels I would never watch, and I cannot see paying for "13 channels of $hit on the TV to choose from." It is precisely that, "America's top 250 channels of $hit on the TV to choose from" when I only watched at most five of them that lead me to drop my outrageously expensive $86/mo Dish Network subscription and move to back to OTA and streaming.

Unfortunately, Sling seems to think that the same, tired, old marketing scheme that worked for years for cable/satellite will work for the streaming world. It will be interesting to see how that works out. As I see it, I will wait for the programs that I want to watch to come to Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu even if it takes a year or two because I am no longer falling for this marketing ploy.
  3. I thought sling was broadcasting your own content being cable/sat/ota/ or anything else to all your devices at no extra cost, when will they realise TV nowadays is no way near worth price tag they put on it they should actually pay you for watching all the damn ads
    wiyosaya likes this.
  4. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 933   +240

What is worse with this, as I see it, is that on a price per channel basis, this is MORE expensive than subscribing to Dish Network's $34.99/mo satellite service which either includes Sling for free or for something like $5/mo.
  5. OcelotRex

OcelotRex TS Booster Posts: 93   +51

Of course you would pay that because you'd be ripping Dish off. The low prices content providers pay, like $0.99 for a channel, is because they bring scores of subscribers getting hundreds of channels for a high, flat fee. Your scenario is not viable: