Sling TV now available to all, AMC Networks programming coming soon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sling espn live tv internet tv streaming tv watchespn sling tv sec network sports extra amc networks ott

Sling TV has launched its live, over-the-top (OTT) streaming service nationwide; no invitation needed. The company is also in the process of adding AMC Networks to its programming portfolio.

As of today, interested parties will be able to try Sling TV free for seven days. After that, there’s a $20 flat monthly fee for the core package which includes access to ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, Disney Channel, CNN, El Rey and Galavision.

sling espn live tv internet tv streaming tv watchespn sling tv sec network sports extra amc networks ott

Customers can also use their Sling TV credentials to log into the WatchESPN app from supported Internet-connected devices. Maker Studios is also now available in live and Video-On-Demand (VOD) formats.

If you haven’t been following the launch, Sling TV also offers a few add-on packages that expand on the core offerings. These include the Kids Extra, News & Info Extra and the Sports Extra – each at an additional $5 per month.

Furthermore, Sling TV announced today that they’ve signed a deal with AMC Networks to bring its programming portfolio to their OTT service. The deal grants Sling TV multi-streaming rights for live and VOD content from the following channels: AMC, BBC America, BBC World News, IFC, SundanceTV and We tv.

sling amc networks cable espn live tv set-top box cord cutting internet tv streaming tv watchespn sling tv sports package cord cutter sec network sports extra ott maker studios

AMC will be included in the $20 core package meaning subscribers will be able to keep current with popular shows like The Walking Dead and the new Breaking Bad spinoff, Better Call Saul. Information on a launch date and package availability for the remainder of the AMC Networks channels will be released soon.

The Sling TV app is available on current-generation Roku players, Roku TV models, iOS, Android, Mac and PC with support for Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick to arrive in the coming days.

Looking ahead, Sling TV is expected to launch on Google’s Nexus Player, webOS Smart TVs from LG Electronics, select Samsung Smart TVs and Xbox One, with other streaming devices and smart TVs to follow.

Permalink to story.

IF Sling were to let me stream BBC America at $0.99/month and no other channels, I would be interested in this. However, this is just current cable/satellite TV over-the-internet. As such, most of these channels I would never watch, and I cannot see paying for "13 channels of $hit on the TV to choose from." It is precisely that, "America's top 250 channels of $hit on the TV to choose from" when I only watched at most five of them that lead me to drop my outrageously expensive $86/mo Dish Network subscription and move to back to OTA and streaming.

Unfortunately, Sling seems to think that the same, tired, old marketing scheme that worked for years for cable/satellite will work for the streaming world. It will be interesting to see how that works out. As I see it, I will wait for the programs that I want to watch to come to Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu even if it takes a year or two because I am no longer falling for this marketing ploy.

I thought sling was broadcasting your own content being cable/sat/ota/ or anything else to all your devices at no extra cost, when will they realise TV nowadays is no way near worth price tag they put on it they should actually pay you for watching all the damn ads

What is worse with this, as I see it, is that on a price per channel basis, this is MORE expensive than subscribing to Dish Network's $34.99/mo satellite service which either includes Sling for free or for something like $5/mo.

Back