Slow Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpbradley

I just built this thing and I guess I just dont know enough, I have a MSI K9A mainboard with 1GB Corsaire DDR2 AMD Athlon 4600 X2 Dual core. This thing takes almost 60 seconds to boot up after the Windows screen.I look in the task manager and I have 38Processes running, I go into msconfig, startup and it does not look to me that there are unnecessary programs running but I may be wrong. Can anyone help me out with this one?

38 processors at startup may be a lot, particularly if several are involved in antivirus, antispyware, firewalls, network software, WinZip, rootkit, and extreme graphics work. On the other hand, many of us have WXP setups that take 60 seconds to totally boot and consider it normal.

I almost hate to mention this......

Wow, only 38 processes that's not that many!

Wow, only a minute, that's pretty darn fast!

Avast AV is considered one of the least resource draining programs of this type, it loads 7 processes on it's own. Mcafee & Norton slow booting much more.

You could kill a few of the startups, but you only have to load them later.

Yahoo, (and I'm guessing others), is fairly invasive with regard to loading start up processes, with IM, permanently running browser components and what not.

One thing you can do is to install SpybotSD 14. This program can prevent unnecessary programs from loading (yes, I know so can msconfg) but to me at least, the Spybot is easier to work with, and it gives you information about what's running, and why it's running.

Buy a WD Raptor! This is an extreme suggestion true enough.

Be a little bit patient! This is a whole lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back