Slow Cable Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Joe

My cable connection used to be very fast, around 800K bytes per second steady.

Recently I'm lucky if I get half that. I watch my bandwidth meter now and instead of being a steady speed it jumps all over the place between 150 and 350, I'm lucky if I see 400 or more for half a second.

Anyone know what may be causing this problem? I've reset my modem several times.
Only thing different is way back when the superbowl was on I wanted to have it on in the background downstairs. Well to get channel 2 to come in clearly I had to move my cable amplifier closer to the TV and closer to my modem.
This was a while ago, so imagine I wouldv'e noticed already, but I suppose it's possible I didn't.

Thanks, Joe

sounds like a reliability issue to your destination(s). I've been having a rash of
DNS timeouts and here's how to fine a node that is causing problems.

Testing your DNS:
  1. get your DNS address from run->cmd /k ipconfig all
  2. then enter pathping $your-dns-address
a) if you see list packets between your system and the ISP gateway, the
problem is on your equipment

b) if it's anywhere else, then you're out of luck and can only complain to the ISP

You can also test the path to ANY server (eg www.techspot.com) in the same manner.
Last week, the connection from Level3.net (in Los Angeles) to the Dallas host
was just trashed, with 65% loss!

Thanks for the info.

I did the test explained above and had 0 packets lost.

I guess I'll call ComCast on Monday

Sparky Joe said:
Thanks for the info.

I did the test explained above and had 0 packets lost.

I guess I'll call ComCast on Monday

Sparky, sorry I have no resoulution for you. But I am gonna get Comcast 6Mg soon. Was wondering how often has this happened to you? Or is this the first time?

I'm not sure if I have the 6 or 8 meg line.
My download speed used to hold steady around 800kBps with burts of over 900. I'm guessing it's a 6meg, though if it is I'm going to opt for the 8.

This is the first I've had this problem. Last summer I had a problem of the connection going down around 4pm every day for about an hour. The tech came out and installed an amplifier on the line and I haven't had that problem since.

The speed tests I've run rank me around 3megs right now. I jaust spoke online with comcast and he suggested I remove my router from the setup to see that improves the speed, and if not to then call comcast. So those are my next steps.

How old is that Router? Have you ever try reseting it? If you do a lot of downloading on Linksys Router they ususally need to be reset. When I had my last Linksys it was acting up.

Download speeds of 800Kbps or 800Mbps still not bad, but have Comcast send out a Level 3 Service Tech to your house, not the installer. The Level 3 guy would know how to fix the problem.

How's upload speeds?

I'll have to remember to ask for the lev3 tech. I had to call twice when I needed the amplifier. The first guy said "intermittent problems are tough to troubleshoot" which I agree fully, but he also said "go talk to your neighbors when you're experiencing problems to see if they have problems also", Yeah right dumba$$, I'm gonna knock on my neighbors door like an ***** and say "is your internet working"
Well the second guy suddenly knew how to check signal strength from my computer and put the amplifier in for me and told me to replace my modem if I still have problems, which I did.

The router is about 4 years old, it's a 'b' and carry's the microsoft name. Resetting it has always scared me due to having to go through all the steps again to get my internet back up.
If I remember correct it was a bit of a pain the first time, although that was minus 4 years of computer 'fumbles' which gave the vast knowledge I have of them now, ha.

I know the b is pretty outdated, but my girlfriend only uses the laptop to surf and print the occasional recipe so it's plenty fast. And the Microsoft MSBBN software is very nice and easy to use.

-joe

update;
connection is currently over 800K. Will have to wait to see if this sustains during normal hours (not 4am)

Nothing like getting 600k bytes in 10 minutes.

Remember you rent the internet from Comcast, so you tell them who you want to come out to your home to fix the problem. So I had the same problem with cable service from them. You got to say it right otherwise they send the wrong guy who doesn't know anything. Also ask them how do my coax cable look? If they're old they should be replace with new New R6 2.3GHz Coax Cable. Internet coax is different than the one you use for Cable TV, they're not the same and if you're using the wrong one you'll get lower download speeds. Also the splitter outside too should be replace if it's old. You want the best internet and cable tv and your paying for it monthy so get the best service and replacement parts they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back