Slow, can't use tsk mgr, 100% resources being used

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindyd

Hi, new to this place, needing some help on weird goings-on with my computer. Searched and read some threads that seemed similar to my problem but none that seem to be exact. Already booted in safe mode and did hijack log, cleaned out couple bad things like Bar888, redid my log, which I'll attach here. The problem is I've been noticing my system running slowly lately, then try to open up task manager to see which processes are running and which are taking up so much of my pc's resources. Sometimes I can get tsk mgr up and sometimes not. Alt-Ctrl-Del doesn't work most of the time, neither does using "Run" command and finding TASKMAN.exe. When I have gotten it to work, I notice that these two files are taking up most of my resources. Even when nothing else on my computer is running, these two are using up pretty much 100% of my resources:

SPBBCSvc.exe
ccEvtMgr.exe

Did a search on the net and found that these seem to be connected with Norton Security, which I have running on my system. I cannot "end" these processes for some reason, and even tried turning off my Norton, but it comes back on with each boot and then the immediate eating up of my resources (which I'm sure is why I explorer and other programs are running so slowly).

Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance for any bone you can throw my way!
Lindy

p.s. addendum: just saw another posting re: taskmgr.exe, so searched for taskmgr.exe. found this file: TASKMGR.exe-06144C13.pf in a folder called c:/Windows/Prefetch. What in the heck is Prefetch???? I also found what I would assume is my "normal" taskmgr.exe in c:/Windows/system32. When I double click on the "normal" one, I get the error message: "Another program is currently using this file". Should I delete the one in Prefetch? Should I delete the Prefetch folder altogether?? I also found something called TASKMAN.exe in my c:/Windows folder and again taskman.exe in c:/windows/system32. Does any of this info help anyone out there figure out my prob?

Norton is notorious for greedily grabbing all the resources and not letting go again.
My advice is to download and install the 3 free products from AVG (on www.grisoft.com) and ditch the Norton.
You have run hijackthis from drive J: you should change the program name to something like analyse.exe and run it from a folder on C:\
If you reply, please send is a new hjt log as well.

Hey Albert, thanks for info, and I'll just try uninstalling Norton. I've had it since I've had my computer (over a year) and never had these type of resource problems, only in the past few weeks has it gotten bad enough for me to notice. Do you have any ideas on the taskmgr problems?

Let me try moving HJT to the c drive, rerun it and repost the log. thanks!
Lindy
btw, should i run HJT from c drive in safe mode as before? or just in normal mode with no other programs running?

If you run htj in safe mode it will not catch and therefore report everything.
The first log looked OK except for a couple of borderline items.

your reply was a bit cryptic. will not "catch" what? and "therefore report everything". this is what we want right? to report everything? so i'm going to do it in safemode, then attach. please let me know if this is correct or not.

Sorry - my fault.
Safe mode does not load all files and drivers so running hjt in safe mode will only find (catch!) those files and drivers.
Protected/normal mode will load everything so hjt stands a better chance of finding all undesireable elements.
Once they are found, the hjt log acts as a report.
Hope this helps....

HJT logs attached

okay albert, here's what i'm doing, just in case it helps to have both. i'm attaching the HJT log from safemode, and one i just did from normal mode w/nothing else running.

also, let's not forget the taskmgr problem, in case it's not something that shows up in HJT. i previously listed all taskmgr.exe files on my system, and wondered if i should delete all except taskmgr.exe that is in c:/windows/system32?

while i'm waiting for your response, i think i will uninstall norton, see if that does anything...
:)

Items
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\dllhost.exe
and
O23 - Service: Client IP-IPX - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchosts.exe" -e mc-110-12-0000137 (file missing)
need to be cleared. Run hjt again and fix these two.

okay, is the
04 Global Startup: dllhost.exe
same thing as the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\dllhost.exe?? if so, i found it and can "fix" it, but want to be sure. the other one (...file missing) i fixed and it's gone.

please advise. oh, and you are asking which processes i have running on taskmgr to make it run slowly? the only two i saw that were taking up lots of resources were the two i listed before:

SPBBCSvc.exe
ccEvtMgr.exe

nothing else at the time was running. i did then open up explorer, and then the three were the only processes running that took up any resourcse, but again, the two listed above were taking up more resources than iexplorer.exe. at all times, even with no applications running, my resources are at around 100%, and when i can look into taskmgr (which right now i cannot) i see only those two taking up the bulk of all my resources.

HELP!

Yup - thats the one.
Processes - in taskmanager there is a total of processes running at the bottom of all the various task manager pages. It should be no more than 50 or so before you start any applications.

hey albert, sort of took matters into my own hands and researched norton and symantec (since the two processes taking up all my resources were symantec/norton processes after all). after some research i removed all symantec and norton stuff from my system (it was expired anyway, and i've been advised by someone that had similar problems to find another anti-virus, that norton eats up resources. since letting HJT get rid of symantec stuff, using smartclose to close up and then selectively reopen certain programs upon reboot, i was able to get task manager opened. with it open i then ended process on all symantec related stuff and everything seems to be working fine now. my speed has improved and my resources are proportionate for what stuff i'm running. all seems well (for now, hopefully it will last, if not you'll see me again on this forum!! haha!).

thanks again for all your help!!
lindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back