slow computer please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running defrag.exe on my Toshiba laptop computer since yesterday afternoon and it is only 1/2 done in 13 hours. Not sure why but it is ugly.

When I check the active processes on the computer I have the following running....

acs.exe
agrsmmsg.exe
alg.exe
ati2evxx.exe
ati2evxx.exe
CALMAIN.exe
Cfsserv.exe
CFSSvcs.exe
crss.exe
ctfmon.exe
dfrgntfs.exe
DVEDRAMSV.exe
Explorer.exe
Fxssvc.exe
Hpcmpmgr.exe
Hptskmgr.exe
Hpwesched2.exe
Hp-ztsb10.exe
IPODservice.exe
Ituneshelper.exe
Isas.exe
Itmoh.exe
Mcagent.exe
Mcdetect.exe
Mcshield.exe
Mctkschd.exe
MCVSEscm.exe
MCVSftsn.exe
MCsshld.exe
mmc.exe
msmsgs.exe
NDStray.exe
Padexe.exe
Qttask.exe
RAMAsst.exe
Realplay.exe
Services.exe
Smoothview.exe
Smss.exe
Sppplsv.exe
Svchost.exe (6x)
Swupdtl.exe
SyntPehn.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
TAPPSRV.exe
Tfncky.exe
Thotkey.exe
TOSCDSPD.exe
TPSBattM.exe
TPSMain.exe
TVSTray.exe
Viewmgr.exe
Wdfmgr.exe
Winlogon.exe
Wuaudt.exe
Ymessengertray.exe

Is there anything up here that would indicate worms or virus not picked up by my anti virus program? HELP.

Hi Ganderle and welcome to the TechSpot Forum :wave:

Nothing blindingly obvious jumps out, other than your Laptop is running a whole host of programs at startup.

You have an HP printer, macafee security, an Ipod, touchpad drivers, yahoo messenger, amongst others all running.

Reboot the laptop and click Start > Run > Msconfig >enter.

The last tab is startup, in there you will see all the nice programs that are loading at startup, these programs are writing to the HD all the time, causing Defrag to restart constantly as the data changes.

Untick programs that arent needed, if your unsure post back and ask which are safe to untick, as a rule leave any virus programs running as these are needed.

When done follow the prompts to reboot, but as it reboots and you see the XP splash screen appear press the F8 key, you will get a menu of choices, choose safe mode and press enter.

Now your in safe mode, Defrag can run without being interrupted by programs and will finish eventually.

Reboot back into normal mode and job done.

You will get a box about "using selective startup" tick the box and click OK.

If you find a program that you need at startup simply go back into Msconfig and retick it.

Any further help post back

and if you get a minute, then please read the following threads It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

I've struck an issue on Laptops with Automatic Updates using 100% CPU.

Hit CTRL ALT DEL and it'll bring up the Task Manager. Go to the PROCESES tab and see if anything is using a lot of resources.

If it is Automatic Updates, shut them off for the time being until MS brings out a WORKING patch.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back