TechSpot

slow computer please help

By ganderle
Jun 9, 2007
  1. I have been running defrag.exe on my Toshiba laptop computer since yesterday afternoon and it is only 1/2 done in 13 hours. Not sure why but it is ugly.

When I check the active processes on the computer I have the following running....

acs.exe
    agrsmmsg.exe
    alg.exe
    ati2evxx.exe
    ati2evxx.exe
    CALMAIN.exe
    Cfsserv.exe
    CFSSvcs.exe
    crss.exe
    ctfmon.exe
    dfrgntfs.exe
    DVEDRAMSV.exe
    Explorer.exe
    Fxssvc.exe
    Hpcmpmgr.exe
    Hptskmgr.exe
    Hpwesched2.exe
    Hp-ztsb10.exe
    IPODservice.exe
    Ituneshelper.exe
    Isas.exe
    Itmoh.exe
    Mcagent.exe
    Mcdetect.exe
    Mcshield.exe
    Mctkschd.exe
    MCVSEscm.exe
    MCVSftsn.exe
    MCsshld.exe
    mmc.exe
    msmsgs.exe
    NDStray.exe
    Padexe.exe
    Qttask.exe
    RAMAsst.exe
    Realplay.exe
    Services.exe
    Smoothview.exe
    Smss.exe
    Sppplsv.exe
    Svchost.exe (6x)
    Swupdtl.exe
    SyntPehn.exe
    SynTPLpr.exe
    TAPPSRV.exe
    Tfncky.exe
    Thotkey.exe
    TOSCDSPD.exe
    TPSBattM.exe
    TPSMain.exe
    TVSTray.exe
    Viewmgr.exe
    Wdfmgr.exe
    Winlogon.exe
    Wuaudt.exe
    Ymessengertray.exe

Is there anything up here that would indicate worms or virus not picked up by my anti virus program? HELP.

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi Ganderle and welcome to the TechSpot Forum :wave:

Nothing blindingly obvious jumps out, other than your Laptop is running a whole host of programs at startup.

You have an HP printer, macafee security, an Ipod, touchpad drivers, yahoo messenger, amongst others all running.

Reboot the laptop and click Start > Run > Msconfig >enter.

The last tab is startup, in there you will see all the nice programs that are loading at startup, these programs are writing to the HD all the time, causing Defrag to restart constantly as the data changes.

Untick programs that arent needed, if your unsure post back and ask which are safe to untick, as a rule leave any virus programs running as these are needed.

When done follow the prompts to reboot, but as it reboots and you see the XP splash screen appear press the F8 key, you will get a menu of choices, choose safe mode and press enter.

Now your in safe mode, Defrag can run without being interrupted by programs and will finish eventually.

Reboot back into normal mode and job done.

You will get a box about "using selective startup" tick the box and click OK.

If you find a program that you need at startup simply go back into Msconfig and retick it.

Any further help post back

and if you get a minute, then please read the following threads It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

3. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

I've struck an issue on Laptops with Automatic Updates using 100% CPU.

Hit CTRL ALT DEL and it'll bring up the Task Manager. Go to the PROCESES tab and see if anything is using a lot of resources.

If it is Automatic Updates, shut them off for the time being until MS brings out a WORKING patch.

Cheers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.