Slow connection-can i make it any faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

HI

I have a wirless network in my house and I download things like americas army(897 MB) and other things like that. It took over an hour because my connection is slower than i thought. It went at a transfer rate of 160 KB/sec. Is there a way to make it any faster? Here are my connection specs:

Network Card: Realtek 10/100 mbps
DSL Modem: 2wire dsl modem
Other: SBC Yahoo! DSL service, linksys 2.4 GHz broadband router.

Is there a way to somehow make it faster in a way so i dont have to spend money? Thank you for replys in advance

Uhm.. you forgot the most important thing - the speed of your DSL service.

Using CDs or DVDs instead of downloading pretty fast. If you spend an hour fetching and installing 4.5GB DVD, then it gives you a data transfer rate of 4.5*1024*1024/3600=~1300KB/sec :p

I have no idea what the dsl speed is, but is it possible to use my ethernet card to crank it up a bit?

sw123 said:
I have no idea what the dsl speed is, but is it possible to use my ethernet card to crank it up a bit?

Even if you have the fastest possible DSL connection in existence (ADSL2@25Mbit) and a sucky generic LAN card, your ethernet is still four times faster than the DSL. If you have a generic DSL service @5Mbit and a gigabit ethernet card, then the speed difference is 200 times. No, there is absolutely no point going tweaking your ethernet card..

i used internet frog, and my download speed is 946 KB/sec, and upload speed is 210 KB/sec. I only get 160 KB/sec for my download speed. What should I do to make it faster? If it helps, I have a Linksys wireless router so my family can access the internet wirelessly(DUH!!!) and the analyisis shows I can download a 100 MB file in 14 min. Americas Army is 897 MB. It should be actually about only about 1 hr 30 min. It took me 1:45. Thats a lot slower than its potential, and I need to make it faster. How is this done? I never tweaked any setting for my router, its been this way ever since I got DSL.

There`s nothing you can tweak in your router.It just routes.

There are some things you can tweak.All of which you can find in the second link in my first post.

There are so many variables determining internet speed,theoretical speeds are very different to actual speeds.

Well 160KB/s is not bad , but it's not great either. But when you did the internet frog you got 946Kb/s dn and 210KB/s up, so your connection is going at about 1/5th the bandwidth it can do (assuming 5MB/s). That means 1 in every 5 packets arrives at the destination correctly, the other 4 are lost in noise on the line. I think the normal packet thru rate is 1 in 4 to 1 in 2, so you are a little off that, but this would mean your ISP has some noisey lines in your area or you live along way from the near switching office. Call them find out if they have issues.

Where are you downloading from? There are two sides to data transmission - sender and receiver. If the sending side can't upload fast enough, then you most certainly can't download faster.

I downloaded americas army from fileplanet. Maybe that is the case with fileplanet, but what about other sites? I cant download any faster from any other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back