Slow emachines T2341; suspect vga driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbreno

My XP system slowed down dramatically (after several weeks of successful operation - had a virus problem before that), and in checking the device drivers I found the dreaded yellow question mark under other devices - video controller (vga compatible). I went to the emachines site and downloaded an S3 driver but it wont install - I get an error message "No display adapter for specified vendor can be detected, or hardware detection could not determine display adapter type.
Hardware detect returned -4.". I did a virus scan and everything is clean. I'm running in safe mode because if I do a normal boot even painting the screen takes forever.

I also get a file not found error (when I reboot) related to my linksys wrt54g driver, but my internet connection still works.

Any ideas?

That machine has a very high failure rate that begins with what you describe. I would replace the power supply if you can. bit it is usually a motherboard issue.. But for sure, save your data.
Some folks have had success by replacing the power supply before the system fails. but nothing helps after the board goes.
Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back