slow file access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I wasn't sure which forum to put this on. We have a 2003 server and Win XP workstations attached. What is happening is that when you go to search in Mycomputer for a particular folder that has many small files in it, you get the flashlight and it takes anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds for the files to show up. We have several workstations with wireless that run at 108Mbps and the files come up instantly. All connections run thru the same 100M switch as well. We even tried using a 1G switch and the files don't come up any faster. I suppose I could use a wireless connection for that computer as well. It sure would be nice if the hardwired computers could access the files fast as they should. Thank you in advance for your help. Steve

are there any CPU intensive programs running on that machine? I.E. - limewire

stop all running applications once and see if this continues

Thanks for the reply. This situation of slow file access happens on all the hardwired machines on the network (14 machines). The ones that use wireless are fine (3). The access points for the wireless also run thru the same switch. The folders that I am having trouble with for example, One has 9070 files in it. Windows says the size is 11 MB and the size on disk is 37.1 MB. It seems like xp has to read over all these files before the contents are shown. It seems strange.

mustang302 said:
The folders that I am having trouble with for example, One has 9070 files in it. .... It seems strange.
not at all. it takes time to read
the filesystem for {name,size,type,mod-date} for that many files.
reorg the directory into smaller groups, organized by some other criteria;
eg: family-pics, vacation-pics, favorite-pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back