Slow file transfer in one direction, quick transfer the other way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 PCs, both running XP Pro SP2.
One is mine and one is my wife’s.
Both are connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router which is then connected to a cable modem.
Both can connect at high speed to the internet.
Both are on the same workgroup and have unique names.
They can see each other in the workgroup.
They can ping each other.
I can browse all shared drives in both directions from both PCs.
Everything seems to be working perfectly except if I try and transfer a file from my PC to my wife’s it takes approx 2 minutes per MB. However if I transfer a file the other way it works flawlessly and at high speed.

I have checked that all the required services are running and that there is only one master browser.

I have changed all the cables and tried different ports on the router.

NetMeter shows a maximum transfer speed of about 250kbps and the networking tab in task manager shows a network utilization of only 1%

Any advice would be gratefully received, as this is slowly driving me insane.

You should try data transfer using something other than WInbdows Networking. Set up some FTP server software for example. This way you can see if the problem is with the network or with Windows.

Disable software firewalls and antivirus on the computers?

I have no software firewalls running and I disabled my anti virus software with no effect.
I have just spent a very interesting hour learning about the previously unknown world of ftp. The problem is the same even using ftp.

Many thanks for your help.

Problem solved. I have installed a new NIC card in my wifes computer and everything is fine. I should have tried it first.

Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back