Slow laptop computer

Bombay Kid

I have ACER E 5230 laptop with Celeron CPU900" 2.2GH , Ram 2 GB, 64 bit windows 7 operating systems

Recently the laptop is very very slow, each command take 1 min to execute, start time is also very slow to 3 min.
Can any one help?
Please send step by step instructions as I am beginer.

Need you to describe onset of slowdown: sudden/gradual? other things that changed? How does it run other than slowly? How long have you had it? Did you get it new? (ps, you are not a beginner, you described your machine well)

Could be several things:
- malware: what do you have to prevent that and protect computer, how often do you update and run what you have, have you found any malware since before the slowdown started? unsure: download Malwarebytes [free] and run it - results?

- heat: thermal throttling: get HWInfo or SpeedFan and track temps and volts - share screenshot from after you play a game

- dying HD: check SMART in utility which relates to your HD (seagate, WD and other have special utilities available for your drive for free)

There are others but we can start here - pick the one which is easiest for you and do that first - keep notes as we will probably have questions we haven't thought of yet

Need you to describe onset of slowdown: sudden/gradual? other things that changed? How does it run other than slowly? How long have you had it? Did you get it new? (ps, you are not a beginner, you described your machine well)

Could be several things:
- malware: what do you have to prevent that and protect computer, how often do you update and run what you have, have you found any malware since before the slowdown started? unsure: download Malwarebytes [free] and run it - results?

- heat: thermal throttling: get HWInfo or SpeedFan and track temps and volts - share screenshot from after you play a game

- dying HD: check SMART in utility which relates to your HD (seagate, WD and other have special utilities available for your drive for free)

There are others but we can start here - pick the one which is easiest for you and do that first - keep notes as we will probably have questions we haven't thought of yet

I do not use laptop often. I up date when ever I turn on the laptop.
Slow down started one month ago, no other software was installed recently.
I have not found any malware so far, may be I need a new malware program to run so I caN CLEAN UP ALL virus.
I bought this laptop brand new 2 years ago, but used very little because most of the time I am on desk top or on 7inch tablet.
Lap top is not hot at any time.
I do not know how to tell weather H/D is dying. and I can not tell you the manufacturer of H/D because there is no label.
What is my 1st step to start. You say start hear what is that mean. so sorry I am no able to follow.

Download free Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
Install, run, share results.

Download HWInfo http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Install, run in background while you do something which causes slowdown (at least 15 minutes, 30 is better),
Leaving temperatures and voltages visible, minimize other information, put in foreground and make a screenshot
Share the screenshot
- of special interest are the ranges (min/max high/low) as it will give some idea of how efficiently your machine is operating.

"I do not know how to tell weather H/D is dying. and I can not tell you the manufacturer of H/D because there is no label. "

Windows Explorer. Right click on hard drive and look at 'hardware' tab. Make notes. Go to manufacturers website for download of utility for testing the HD.

Run it and share results

Temps were ok so not thermal slowdown.

49 Viruses!!! That is seriously bad news - AND I'm pretty sure you have more (no single scanner does complete job).

Do not do any credit card or banking on that system!!! Enable Microsoft firewall on this and any system which might have shared over home network - otherwise all your computers can get infected.

Your choice - do a low level format (make sure you have system disk and key code before format) and rebuild your system with clean OS install and re-enter of your key code OR go to next forum to spend a week with Broni over at https://www.techspot.com/community/forums/virus-and-malware-removal.28/ making a true clean machine.

(ps What anti-malware have you been using? I want to make a note about what to avoid like the plague.)
(pps Your machine may be working better for wiping out 49 viruses - just think how much better when you get rid of ALL of them)

Back