TechSpot

Slow-motion 120FPS capture mode discovered in iOS 7

By Jesse
Jul 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. We don’t know exactly when it will arrive, but the next iPhone is likely just around the corner. Amidst speculation about launch dates and incremental hardware upgrades, one question remains. What will be the iPhone 5S’s major differentiator?

Read more

2. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 308

Who cares?!!!

MilwaukeeMike and cliffordcooley like this.
  3. The NSA? :)

4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,930   +569

I will join the "Who cares" club on this one. The maximum a phone may need is 60FPS. Even that already will eat up all available space in any phone and in no time. But 120FPS, boy, a single 10-minute record in such mode will fill up a 32GB phone memory.

If I ever cared about the new iPhone camera, I would say - quality in low light and the ability to take shots in native 4K resolution. But think it will suck through in both directions...

cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. VitalyT

If Apple make 120fps on FullHD that will be the World 8th wonder.
    I bet will only 640x480 VGA resolution.
    So its only software update.

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

1080p @ 120fps is nice. 4x slow-mo is very cool to be able to do in impromptu situations as you normally do with smartphone photos.

By the way, the GoPro Hero3 HD cameras use last-or-current-gen mobile CPUs inside to encode their files. There's no reason why smartphones can't do the same. It's just a form-factor issue - you don't wanna go BMXing with a n iPhone strapped to handlebars. :)

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

My HTC One records slow motion. No one knows that because a) it's a novelty everyone tries once, says 'hey that's cool' and then forgets about, and b) HTC doesn't get a press release for every little feature of their phone in an effort to make their customers think they're getting something new by dropping another $600 on the 'latest and greatest.'

Of course you could sum that up by saying...

cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,183   +766

Maybe Apple will introduce a 2 for the price of 1 with the new phone. Buy an Apple iPhone 5S and get an Android phone free.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.