Slow Network transfer rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I'm on what is currently a 2 person network... Just used for simple home connectivity. Both computers are using Windows XP and LinkSys 100tx network adapters. My hub is a 5 person 100mbps non-switching hub... Decent setup.

My problem began some number of months ago actually, but I haven't paid much attention to it since the network is used primarily for gaming. When I DO copy files however, I'm getting something like 10mbps transfer rates. Perhaps even slower.

I've wondered if the hub is auto-sensing one or all of the network cards as 10mbps, because I can't find anything else wrong and the problem goes largely unexplained. A few months ago, I was copying 100mb files in a matter of seconds... Now it takes roughly 10 minutes (On a good day!).

Both of the computers (while copying files) have been idle. Also, both hard disks are very capable... No local disk or disk controll problems.. And judging by the disk activity LED indicators, they are both not even close to load while copying is in progress.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this happen, or if anyone has suggestions as to what could cause this so that I might be able to fix it.

Good news, I managed to solve the problem.....

I simply went to network connections and right clicked on the network icon. I then chose "repair" and it is magically fixed. How silly.

Originally posted by Rick
Good news, I managed to solve the problem.....

I simply went to network connections and right clicked on the network icon. I then chose "repair" and it is magically fixed. How silly.
Good news for XP users but what if this would have happened in 2k? Is there a way telling what this "repair" does? Have you noticed any changes in network settings?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Good news for XP users but what if this would have happened in 2k? Is there a way telling what this "repair" does? Have you noticed any changes in network settings?

I looked for information on it shortly afterward at the MSKB, I found something that explains it all and makes it possible for Windows 2000 users to do...

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q289256

• Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) lease is renewed: ipconfig /renew

• Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache is flushed: arp -d *

• Reload of the NetBIOS name cache: nbtstat -R

• NetBIOS name update is sent: nbtstat -RR

• Domain Name System (DNS) cache is flushed: ipconfig /flushdns

• DNS name registration: ipconfig /registerdns

From my own experiences, it would appear that my settings have stayed intact. My settings are largely autoconfigured.. I haven't done much in the way of changing anything since XP practically plugged up the network cable by itself and they have remained the same since I've used the repair option.

This issue can also be caused by having the network card itself being set to a specific connection speed like 100 full (100mbps Forced Full Duplex) setting this back to auto negotiation has resolved this issue for me in the past as well.

This is done in computer management under "Device Manager" > "Network Adapter". Select the properties of your card then look for the Speed/Duplex settings on the advanced tab.

Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back