Slow (new) system

kpbradley

Hey I just bought a new
mb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130709
processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280
memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130680

I did not replace my HDD and the are 3GB not 6 GB as this board supports but are SATA and I have nothing special starting up beside the basic items and AVG 2013 and magic ISO which I had all this on my old system. I am running windows 7 and it takes this machine almost 5 min to boot up it just sits at the windows display screen. I never overclocked anything but I thought this upgrade would be faster than my 4 year old system that this replaced, not slower! OK so any ideas? Would the 6GB SATA HDD drive make that much of a difference?

6GB HDD? Dude what, that's ancient.

Get a new HDD, or a cheap SSD - you'll really see it fly.

6GB was not meant to be the size rather the speed of data transfer. My hdd is not that old I'm not sure why that would make the pc take almost 5 minutes to boot up

Okay, makes sense.

Did you do a fresh Windows install? It's starting to look like you just swapped HDD's to the new build.

This is off-topic, but may I ask. Why did you replace the integrated "AMD Radeon HD 7660D" (Passmark = 807) with dedicated "GeForce GT 520" (Passmark = 360)?

That seems a bit counter productive. As much as I love GeForce, if I was you I'd pull that card out. And use the integrated AMD graphics, or purchase a better card one.

Wish I could help with your original concern, but unfortunately I'm not a fan (or user) of AMD CPU's at all.

Not real site why I decided to buy the GeForce card I really didn't pay to much attention to what I was buying when I was choosing the hardware. I would bypass the card if it made my system faster

Ok well I removed the GeForce card is still taking 5 min to boot up

As one would expect

I'd suggest another re-install.

1. Ensure HDD mode in BIOS is set to AHCI.
  2. Wipe, re-load Windows.
But, if you want to check this first: is the HDD light constantly illuminated? If yes, something on Windows is corrupt. If not, then it's just not loading properly.

I know it has been a while, but I got a new HDD drive (6 GB data transfer rate not size) and did another install and WOW what a difference. The pc boots up in under a minute from push of start button to loading everything Its all great now, I didn't think the HDD would make that big a difference.

I know it has been a while, but I got a new HDD drive (6 GB data transfer rate not size) and did another install and WOW what a difference. The pc boots up in under a minute from push of start button to loading everything Its all great now, I didn't think the HDD would make that big a difference.
HDD was probably old, happens alot of times where they deteriorate over time and you just get a degraded performance. Im glad your machine sped up after putting a new drive in!

Also on that topic of your video card, I think clifford already hit all the main points but yea I would just get rid of the GT 520, the 7660D in the A10 is like 3 times better than that card. Just install the Catalyst Control Center and stick with the Integrated Card. In terms of Video cards, the GT X40 Series and below are very low performance cards in which integrated from AMD are now so far above they really dont have much of a value (Even Intel HD is above them).

Yeah I guess I should have put that in my reply I did get rid of that video card and I am using the onboard video it is a bad deal because I just bought it and can't return it so maybe I'll just sell it on eBay.unless somebody wants to buy a cheap lol

Yeah I guess I should have put that in my reply I did get rid of that video card and I am using the onboard video it is a bad deal because I just bought it and can't return it so maybe I'll just sell it on eBay.unless somebody wants to buy a cheap lol
Thats what I would do, I would just plop it on ebay for a low price auction and see what happens.

Back