Slow opening Internet Explorer and My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exasperated by a problem i encountered after installing a KCorps wireless Router. I got the router set up and everything seemed fine until i rebooted.
XP would not start and i received an error message stating that 'NTLDR was missing'.

After searching around the internet i fixed this by copying the files from my XP disc. I then received a message on the next attempt to boot up that said 'windows could not start boot.ini file missing'. I took steps to copy the missing Boot.ini files from my xp disc, and lo and behold...xp started up.

It didn't end there though. I noticed windows firewall had become disabled and no matter how many times i reenabled it, it switched of on restart. i solved this by resetting it.

The major irritation i cannt resolve is with IE/Outlook and My computer. When i click on IE to connect it will not open for about 5 mins. Neither will MY Computer find any of my folders until IE connects. Outlook opens fine but freezes on 'send/receive'. After the initial delay of about 5 mins everything opens and works fine!Skype will open immediately and works fine from start up so i assume the connection is okay.

Why is this? Are all these problems related?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ihave run Norton and detect no spyware and ADaware detected nothing either.

hey dude
my guess would be you have some sort of virus
try running some anti virus software /spyware
maybe even check to see if there is signed drivers for your router
and re install drivers

Have you run disk cleanup in a while? Get rid of any junk in the system, including temporary internet files, empty recycle bin etc (CCleaner is a gud free utility) and defragment (in safe mode) after the cleanup.This may help improve performance. It would also be a good idea to run chkdsk.

A hardware firewall would not effect your OS. Are you plugged in through Ethernet? Or are you actually using the wireless part? If wireless, and if new, was there any problem setting up the wireless NIC? You may try disabling or removing it as a temporary test.

Also as a test, on a fresh startup. Open Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del). Click the processes tab. Then resize Task manager so it is skinny and tall so you can see as many processes as possible, with their CPU usage showing as well.
With that open and moved to the side open IE or My Computer and look for changes in the list.
Does the IE process open right away and then just now show? Or does nothing happen and the process opens 5 mins later? The IE process name is "iexplore.exe" and may be in all CAPitols. Note that if you don't have an IE window open, you should NOT have this process already. If you do have iexplore and IE isn't open, then you have some malware.

If you have been hacked, or infested with something, I wouldn't trust your local Norton. Run a virus scan from "housecall.trendmicro.com".

Lastly, when your Task Manager windows is open, if the process names look correct; you might go to the "Performance" tab and see what your CPU usage is like. If it's spiked to 100% for more then a few seconds while loading IE, there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back