Slow Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckpeterson

HP Pavilion 3GB 2.0hz has slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the machine, the fs was badly fragmented. Defragged, ran the eight steps. No infections found. I had also run ad-aware and wiped out 400+ cookies. system is better, but still sluggish. I suspect some of the services/resident programs may be to blame and hoping a smarter set of eyes than mine may have some comments re changes.

A lot of Apple stuff on board used to sync iphone and outlook

thx

No infestations. My guess is that your hard drive is bad. What is the brand, model, and age of your current Pavilion hard drive... Those that are Maxtor, or Hitachi, Samsung or Silver Western Digital started failing before two years were up...

Thanks for the reply. The disk is a SAMSUNG HM250JI. I will check their site to see if they have any diagnostics I could run. CHKDSK ran cleanly and windows reports a healthy status.

Thanks

If not, the Hitachi or Western Digital software will test it just fine... their exams take less than 15 minutes. You might also look in your Device Manager to see if it lists the S.M.A.R.T status...

Other problems that can slow down a pavilion...

Inadequate memory... if it has 512 MB or less, that is the likely cause... and of course, the more the better.

Samsungs are better hard drives nowadays, but we sure have seen a lot of failures over the past three years.

Power supply is very underpowered... Power supplies usually do not cause slowdowns, but they can if the power is sequencing up and down the power range...

If you plan to keep it for a long time, I would consider upgrading memory, hard drive, and power supply... and perhaps a second exhaust case fan.

Opps... I never said it is a PAvilion DV9700 notebook not a desktop. Has 3 gig memory. I have downloaded a samsung diagnostic and will have to go offline for a while to run it.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back