Slow print spooling with print sharing on printers connected to win98 PC

By sepvg
Dec 22, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, so my apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place.

I have 2 printers connected 2 a win98 Dell PC and have 2 XP Dell laptops that use the printers. I have had an HP laserjet 5MP and an HP color inkjet 1100 connected to it. The spool time to the 5MP has been normal. When I connected the HP 1100 a year ago, the spool time was very slow and it took a long time to get the print dialogue box to open, but I (ignorantly!) assumed it was the printer and since I don't use it often, just didn't deal with it. I just replaced the 5MP with a HP laserjet 2420 and it is slow, slow, slow to spool, to open a print menu, to open print properties, etc. When I turn print sharing off, it both printers print fine. I'm wondering if the win98 machine just doesn't have the processing speed necessary, but before I buy a print server or get an XP desktop to connect the printers to, thought I'd try to get some insight into the problem.

Thanks for any help!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.