Slow "save as", opening my computer, manually entering url in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

The problem originally occured 4 days back. That time, IE would take forever to open websites that i manually typed in the URL, like www.google.com etc. However, the speed was normal during navigation to websites from the Favourites menu. Also, if My Computer would take foreever to display the directory tree. However, once the tree was displayed there was no lag in moving between drives. But if My Computer was restarted, the issue would repeat.
Also, while saving files using IE or Getright, the Save As pulldown menu would take a long time to finally display the drives for me to choose a path to save.

I had tried out a search on google and used some fixes. Had also used ad-aware and spybot, as well as a registry fix, and somehow the problem had been fixed. But it occured again yesterday and the the same symptoms have reappeared. I haven't been able to fix it. Any suggestions?

Help will be deeply appreciated

also, I have XP Sp2...the slow browsing for non-Favourites website I mentioned afflicts only IE and not Firefox, but the slow Save as affects both IE and Firefox

Are you on a network?
If so, check in Explorer/Tools if you have any remote Network Drives linked to your PC.
Unmap/disconnect them, that's what takes so long.

Definately has something to do with networked drives that it cannot access. I hvae htis problem all the time when I"m not at work and try to save something at home, it tries to connect the networked drives first.
BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I've got 4 drives listed under network is that the same as remote drives?
system seems fast enough
I got remoting working properly now and when that is running system for save does not seem to be that slow
could be a dns cache thing try flushing it??
this would be a good thing to tweak I will do a search

Ok, I solved my own problem...wasted a LOT of time too :mad:

Thanks to everybody that tried to help. I did have network drives unmapped but that didn't solve the prob. After much searching, I came across some forum where the adware/malware "apropos" was mentioned as a possible cause for this kind of a problem. I downloaded a fix for it, rebooted into safe mode (where none of the problems existsed that I was having in normal mode), ran the .bat file and it cleaned up the malware. I rebooted into normal mode and yeah, everything is fixed.

it just isn't fair that not only do these adware companies display ads non-stop with their ****ty programs, but they take over the computer and cause people like me to spend hours trying to fix these issues. How many wasted manpower hours are these? Unsolicited advertising is ****ty in itself, but to force somebody to see ur ads by screwing around with their computers is downright illegal.
Bout time somebody starts taking companies that use such adware programs to court...if courts can listen to some ***** dropping coffee on herself at McD's, then they will sure as hell listen to the thousands of people facing computer/browser hijacks

maybe Bush shoulda declared war on these companies instead of Iraq? :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back