TechSpot

Slow to open Internet Explorer

By PHATMAN5050
Oct 24, 2002
  1. This has been a recurring problem of mine which I can no longer take. It takes my computer about thirty seconds to open up internet explorer from when I click the icon. I do not have this problem in any other program except Internet Explorer. Any ideas?

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I used to have this problem with Outlook express... Over and over again... Format at after format.. etc.

I think that you should probably run system file checker ( Start/Run/SFC /scannow ).. Make sure you have your Windows CD handy.

Beyond that, I'd double check to make sure your internet/network settings are correct.

3. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 645

Its almost always when i first boot up or after i leave the computer and come back to it later.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

Just curious - McAfee running on this machine? Happens on one of my machines (but goes away if I kill McAfee services). Just curious.

LNCPapa

5. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 645

No, not right now. I uninstalled my virus scan about a month ago because I was convinced that upon startup, it was the reason why my computer would just sit and think for 2 minutes before i could do anything. I'm pretty sure i was wrong about that, and that time of idle when i log into windows, i believe, is my computer accessing an ip address from the router.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.