Slow very slow

steelth

So I got a buddy who said he has a slow laptop can I look at it . I say no problem. Thinking it would be easy fix,but.... no.lol So I turn it on and it takes over 30min to an hour to get to the Windows log in screen . So long in fact it goes to sleep sometimes. the 1 time I could log in to windows it was so slow I couldn't do anything . It's a Hp 2000 with windows 10 . I tried going to safe mode to see if I could get it to work but I can't because of it being so slow.I took the hard drive out and ran antispyware on it and slim cleaner . It's still slow.The hard drive has 80% free also so it isn't full... . Any ideas ? Thx for any reply's or ideas. Oh and I did get into bios but no where to go from there.

Disconnect from the Internet or power off the router and try again

I have tried that thx for the reply
I'm stumped to me it would seem the hard drive is full as slow as it is but no ,so not sure what to do from here

Google "Win/10 local logon" -> results like this

Win/10 accesses the Internet even to logon which is BS. Every system should boot locally first and then decide on Internet access.

It's weird but Windows 10 is unlikely have anything to do with it even if you log in via a Microsoft account. The HP 2000 has a decent spec whereas my Atom netbook boots W10 in around 1 minute. It may be related to security software. I once installed Kaspersky and found my computer struggling to do anything. Maybe there is a restore point to roll back to in case a Windows update has gummed things up.

Last night I turned it on 6 hours later I still never seen a windows screen to log into windows.

Here's a post from a relevant thread on another forum:
"None of the answers I've seen help when you have waited three hours for your stupid laptop to restart, so this non-geek unplugged his laptop, dropped out the battery, waited 15 seconds, put it back together and now it works. I'm sure this will cause a tsunami somewhere in the computer world, but I don't care. I just wanted a simple answer."

If no luck pass it back to your friend. You've done more to help than most would do.

Back