TechSpot

Slow W2K start Up

By Cedar
Oct 30, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For a few months now, the w2k on my Toshiba notebook takes forever to start-up after logging on; there is disk activity for nearly 4-5 minutes during which time you can't really do anything. So far, I have tried disabling Norton Antivirus Autoscan but it made no difference. I have tried to remove a registry entry (tip I got from nospin) that stops w2k from looking for scheduled activities but with no change. The only thing I can think of next is to completely wipe out the c: drive and re install w2k and suffer the pain.

Could I request another suggestion before I make this leap. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you
  2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

:wave: Hello and Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Do you have a network card installed, and set it up to use a DHCP server to get the IP?

If so, it might try to find such a server, and taking forever to time-out before deciding to set an ip by itself...

That'd account for a long boot, but not as much as 4-5 minutes...
    Try running ad-aware or something similar to see if there's some bad programs lurking about and taking forever to load...
  3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I always find it usefull to take a look in the Even Viewer.

Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc /s

Then go to System Tools -> Even Viewer

There might be an error message concerning a service having problems starting.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

When did you last defrag your HD? Also check for available space on your HD.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.