TechSpot

Slow Windows XP Pro Login

By DemonWolf
Nov 27, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yesturday, when I was booting up my computer in the morning and I got to the login screen and I typed my password as usual, but the problem is when It actually logs in.
    After I enter the password it will take about 30 seconds to get from that screen to my desktop, from there it will take about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes to load my taskbar and icons, usually it will take roughly 5-10 seconds.

I have no idea why, I searched google and only found fixes for Windows Server logins. The only thing I could possibly think of what caused it is when I was using one of your guides.
    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/windows_security/
    I might of changed a setting I shouldnt have, but I dont know which one.

I also tried getting rid of stuff with CCleaner, I defraged and did about 5 different Spyware scans.

Thank you for any help.
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Do you have more than one virus scanner installed? This is a classic symptom of such.

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc may give you additional clues. Look for errors in the System (most importantly) and Application sections. If you see anything that looks worthwhile feel free to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V the details here (copy context menu is disabled for event viewer).
  3. DemonWolf

DemonWolf TS Rookie Topic Starter

I only have one anti-virus; AVG
    And I checked event viewer and found 2 errors during the start up today

1: Source:Service Control Manager
    The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting.

2:Source: Dhcp
    The IP address lease 192.168.0.5 for the Network Card with network address 0013D4E29A51 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.