TechSpot

Slow wireless network

By lopdog
Feb 12, 2009
  1. Hi!

I've recently configured a home network between 1 desktop computer (wired) and two notebooks (wireless) using a D-Link DIR-300 router to share Internet and files/printers.
    I use 802.11g, and in theory I should be able to transfer data at about 54 Mbit/s. But when I copy files from one computer to another, Windows Vista reports the maximum speed to be about 2 MB/s.
    The signal is very good (90-99 %). Shouldn't I be able to reach about 6 MB/s?

2. jdillman1502

jdillman1502 TS Enthusiast Posts: 120

Do both laptop have wireless g devices? If 1 of them has b, then both will connect at b (11 MB/s) speed.

3. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 295

One of them has a b/g device, and the other an a/b/g/n device. Can I decide what standard I want to use, or is this an automatic issue?
    Also, 11Mbit/s equals about 1.3 MB/s (11/8=1.375) and I am faster than that.

4. jdillman1502

jdillman1502 TS Enthusiast Posts: 120

Within the router you can set the wireless standard. You usually have the option of b, g, or mixed. I would set it to g if you know you wont have anyone with a b device trying to connect.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,315   +618

very common; on all adapters and especially the WiFi router, force G-Only mode :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.