Slowish. . . also need help removing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsie

Things are looking a bit slowish on start up and I guess I'm becoming a bit frustrated lol. So I've attached a HTL for you to see if there's anything that can be done about it. Also, whenever I run a AVG scan, it always scans the Sims even though I did remove The Sims from this a very long time ago. So, if there's anyway that that can stop, that'd be good too lol. Any help, as always, is appreciated =]

Hi,

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please do the following.

You may wish to copy and paste these instructions on notepad for easier reference later.

Boot into safe mode under your normal user name. See how HERE

Next turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE

Go to start > run and type services.msc. Press the enter key.
Search for the following services. Double click to select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

MessengerPlus3

Go to start > Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs.
Remove anything related to the following:

MessengerPlus3

After that, run HijackThis and fix the following entries, if found (do this by placing a tick in the check boxes beside these entries and clicking "Fix checked"):

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Close HJT.

Navigate in Windows Explorer and delete the following files and folders in bold.

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Chelsie only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I like my messenger plus lol. I only need help with the Sims thing and knowing if there's anything that can speed up the process of starting.
But thank you =]

Add more ram and GO TO THIS LOCATION it does work. also use 'msconfig' to stop programmes automatically starting up when you log on.
Don't forget to post the required logs for momok

Hi,

The reason I posted those instructions is because messenger plus installs adware and spyware on your system. I would still highly recommend you uninstall it and remove it from your system. The choice is upto you though.

Try the advice given by tomrca and see if things are better. You may also read this thread here on how to speed up your system.

That said, I hope you will continue with the spyware/malware removal instructions and post the requested logs in case your system is infected with nasties that you may not be aware of.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Chelsie only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you both very much.
I did the disable service thing and as soon as I get the AVG scan done, I'll post the logs.
Thanks so much, both of you.

Okay, all logs are attached. But after I did Combofix, windows firewall is all the sudden sending me alerts again even though I have zone alarm and haven't used windows firewall for a very long time. I don't want the windows firewall on but I can't remember how to turn it off. It also began opening things up in IE again even though I haven't used that for years; I only use Firefox. Ah, AVG Antirootkit scan didn't find anything.

Hi,

Your logs are looking clean now. However you have not posted the AVG antispyware log. It can be located in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Reports.

As for Windows Firewall, you can turn it off in Control Panel > Security Centre > Windows Firewall.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

I did the AVG scan but it's not in the Reports file. The Reports file is empty. But the scan did not find anything and it scanned everything.
And when I go to Control Panel Security Centre, it won't let me turn off the Firewall. It's on Yes and I can't click no to turn it off. It won't let me

Hi,

Make sure your zonealarm is running fine before you do this.

Try this:
Go to Start > Run. Type services.msc and press Enter.

Search for Windows Defender and Windows Firewall services and stop the services. Also disable them from starting up.

Since all your logs look clean,

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware Quarantine folder. (located in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Quarantine)

You may also delete the C:\VundoFix Backups folder and its contents.

Turn off system restore (XP/ME only). Learn how to do that HERE.
This will remove all the remaining nasties from your old restore points.

After that turn system restore back on.
This would have created a new safe and clean restore point for your system.

Often times, an infection can occur again not due to the incompetence of programs, but because of user habits.
May I recommend you to read this article.
This can help to prevent future infections.

Should you have any further problems, please post in this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back