TechSpot

Small Window Managers : for those who do not run NASA machines

By Didou
Mar 16, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here's a nice selection of fast & efficient window managers in case KDE, Gnome & the likes run too slow.

IceWM ( Nodsu's favourite )

[​IMG]

FluxBox

[​IMG]

PekWM

[​IMG]

You can also mix them, for example use fluxbox with Gnome ( instead of the default MetaCity WM ).

There are quite a few of those faster, more "subtle" WM, if you have any good ones, post them here.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Topic Starter Posts: 5,899

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You left out WindowMaker..

Fedora Core 1 on my work machine:

[​IMG]
  4. Didou

I did not forget, I just want to leave the chance for a few others to participate.;)

AfterStep

[​IMG]
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I guess I'm a sort of extremist here - either full KDE or no X at all :)

I used to use Gnome + Enlightenment some years ago but changed to KDE (for personal reasons ;))
  6. Didou

Well either KDE or Gnome were way too slow on my K6-2 450mhz. It wasn't a ram problem since that machine has 384mb & more then half of it was empty. I installed WindowMaker & IceWM & they're blazing fast on that machine.

Most of the time it's in Runlevel 3 anyways, since it's only crunching seti but I sometimes use it for something & Gnome/KDE are so unresponsive on it, I sometimes just go back Runlevel to do the commands.:dead:

I'm gonna play around with the other available WMs & see which I decide to keep.:)
  7. Didou

8. Didou

BlackBoxWM

[​IMG]

*Edit* BlackBox is no longer maintained. Some of the BlackBox programmers are now working on either FluxBox or Kahakai.
  9. Didou

10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.