TechSpot

Small Window Managers : for those who do not run NASA machines

By Didou
Mar 16, 2004
  1. Here's a nice selection of fast & efficient window managers in case KDE, Gnome & the likes run too slow.

IceWM ( Nodsu's favourite )

[​IMG]

FluxBox

[​IMG]

PekWM

[​IMG]

You can also mix them, for example use fluxbox with Gnome ( instead of the default MetaCity WM ).

There are quite a few of those faster, more "subtle" WM, if you have any good ones, post them here.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Topic Starter Posts: 4,274

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You left out WindowMaker..

Fedora Core 1 on my work machine:

[​IMG]

4. Didou

I did not forget, I just want to leave the chance for a few others to participate.;)

AfterStep

[​IMG]

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

I guess I'm a sort of extremist here - either full KDE or no X at all :)

I used to use Gnome + Enlightenment some years ago but changed to KDE (for personal reasons ;))

6. Didou

Well either KDE or Gnome were way too slow on my K6-2 450mhz. It wasn't a ram problem since that machine has 384mb & more then half of it was empty. I installed WindowMaker & IceWM & they're blazing fast on that machine.

Most of the time it's in Runlevel 3 anyways, since it's only crunching seti but I sometimes use it for something & Gnome/KDE are so unresponsive on it, I sometimes just go back Runlevel to do the commands.:dead:

I'm gonna play around with the other available WMs & see which I decide to keep.:)

7. Didou

8. Didou

BlackBoxWM

[​IMG]

*Edit* BlackBox is no longer maintained. Some of the BlackBox programmers are now working on either FluxBox or Kahakai.

9. Didou

10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.