Smartphone 'kill switches' are cutting down on theft in big cities

By Shawn Knight
Feb 11, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Lawmakers and concerned consumers alike have championed the idea of smartphone kill switches for years. Now that they're finally here, the logical question in whether or not they're actually deterring crooks from stealing handsets.

Read more
  2. Just another way of introducing legalized tracking of the population under the name of that well know strap line " In the Interests of Your Safety & Security!"

We all have lapses but just keep the phone safe about your person!
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I like the kill switch concept but I prefer the thought of just killing the thieves.
    davislane1 likes this.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,378   +2,167

Hold my 4S while I unholster my 1911? :p
  5. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 643   +226

Umm, okay then.

I know I would be angry as hell if someone stole my cellphone but I would stop at a good beating and a few broken bones. :)

Oh yeah, I was actually gonna make a comment of my own. Oh, instead of a kill switch, which seems to me, would give the thief inspiration to take a sledge hammer to it or simply throw it into a deep body of water, why not just let operate like all systems are normal and use a hidden GPS tracking software?

Are people seriously gonna stop stealing phones because of a kill switch? Bait-Car hasn't stopped thieves from stealing cars yet.(Is that the name of the show? I can't remember exactly).
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Yeah, I agree. Killing the person who zaps your phone is a bit on the extreme side. Who wants to spend the rest of their lives behind bars over a simple phone. I was just being obnoxious, again. :D
    TheBigFatClown likes this.
  7. Pretty sweet. Now the NSA can hack in and kill everyone's phones in a time of internal conflict.

The lack of communication between citizens will make a hostile government takeover that much easier.
  8. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 643   +226

Agreed. I don't even buy that a kill switch deters thieves. How? Like they still couldn't put it up for sale on a fake EBay account and dupe somebody else? I don't buy it works.