SNMP Vulerabilities

By Phantasm66
Feb 13, 2002
  1. A new vulnerability has been found with this.... But anywayz...

....I'd be thinking about turning that SNMP (Simple network management Protocol) off anyway if I was you. There are a great number of hacks that exploit this. This new one is just the lastest in a long line.

This effects users of Windows as well as Linux and other *IX operating systems.

Have a read at this article:

There's instruction in the article for getting rid of it from both Linux and Windows. In Linux, I found I could do this:

BASH# /etc/init.d/snmp stop

to stop the service if it was running, and then

BASH# ntsysv

will list the services to start running at boot, find snmp and unstar it. Then hit ok.

You will need to be root, or su'ed to root with "su - " to use these commands.

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 5,734   +7

This turned up when I went to today...

Security Update, February 12, 2002
    Download size: 229 KB, < 1 minute
    This update resolves the "Unchecked Buffer in SNMP Service Could Enable Arbitrary Code to be Run" security vulnerability in Windows XP, and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-006. Download now to prevent a malicious user from running code of his or her choice or launching a denial of service (DoS) attack on your computer
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.