Snowden granted 1-year temporary asylum in Russia

Jesse

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has officially been granted temporary asylum in Russia, reports the Guardian. After camping out in the Moscow airport for over a month, Snowden will finally be able to enter the interior of Russia, his lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, said on Thursday afternoon.

Russia’s Federal Migration Service granted Snowden asylum on a temporary basis for a one-year period. The migration service gave confirmation documents to Snowden today, which “gives him the right to temporary asylum on the territory of the Russian federation," said Kucherena, pictured above.

Russian security officials reported Snowden crossed the border at 3:30pm local time, which was confirmed by an outside source at the airport according to the state news agency RIA Novosti.

Kucherena declined to comment on Snowden’s destination, but said he left alone in a taxi.

"Since he is the most hunted person in the world, he will address the question of security today," said Kucherena.

Snowden’s future is still uncertain. He had previously stated that he intended to make his way to South America, but has recently suggested he wants to stay in Russia. His lawyer told journalists that he has been reading classic Russian literature, and learning Russian.

Edward Snowden’s father, Lon Snowden, is reportedly planning to visit his son, and Kucherena said he is sending him an invitation so that he can obtain a Russian visa.

Further upsetting U.S. lawmakers by granting Snowden asylum, Russia has thus far refused to cooperate with the United States' requests. Russia previously stated that they had no jurisdiction to return Snowden because he was not officially on Russian territory.

WikiLeaks announced that Snowden would comment later today on the Bradley Manning case, the U.S. Army Pfc. who leaked thousands of classified documents in 2009.

Permalink to story.

I wonder what made Russia change their mind. Beside the fact that they've been on the opposite side of every just about every global issue as the US since WWII. Russia is no believer in government transparency, so it's not like they believe in Snowden's cause. I'd guess with Snowden is giving them info on PRISM in return for asylum, or they're just doing it because Russia knows they can push around Obama and he's not going to do anything about it.

Edward Snowden, is now a paid prostitute for the Russian government. I am expecting him to continue talking about the American government. That is a condition of his one-year employment. The fine print on his contract reads: "Contract will terminate if any negative comments are said against any communist official". I call Edward Snowden: LOWLIFE! sell-out 101. If he had finished high school, he would know that the American System is better than the communist system. He would know that our election system is better than Putin's Russian dictator system.

I wonder what made Russia change their mind. Beside the fact that they've been on the opposite side of every just about every global issue as the US since WWII. Russia is no believer in government transparency, so it's not like they believe in Snowden's cause. I'd guess with Snowden is giving them info on PRISM in return for asylum, or they're just doing it because Russia knows they can push around Obama and he's not going to do anything about it.
another person who had leaked classifies information was prosecuted recently. He was sentenced to life in prison. I think Russia saw that and said "nope.". Even they can see what we are doing is wrong.

I think Russia saw that and said "nope.". Even they can see what we are doing is wrong.
Even they can see? That's quite condescending. What they really see is the right time and the right way to piss off the US. One must keep american propaganda on the leash at all times, and Russia is the right country to do that.

So he is a traitor going to tell the Russians secrets I guess we knew that all along

What secrets? His story has been out for a while, nothing more to tell, he is just on the run now, traitor or whistle-blower, or whatever else he is labelled, he is done for. Will retire in Russia to tell his kids how once upon a time he screwed uncle Sam a big one...

Unhappily, it does seem as there might be some substance to Snowden's disclosures. Maybe a year or so in Siberia is a good thing for all of us.

Lol. snowden "leaks" government secrets for transparency.
...was granted temporary asylum by a government whose transparency and legitimacy are questionable.

Edward Snowden, is now a paid prostitute for the Russian government. I am expecting him to continue talking about the American government. That is a condition of his one-year employment. The fine print on his contract reads: "Contract will terminate if any negative comments are said against any communist official". I call Edward Snowden: LOWLIFE! sell-out 101. If he had finished high school, he would know that the American System is better than the communist system. He would know that our election system is better than Putin's Russian dictator system.

Yea, what a lowlife for wanting the public to know they are being spied on (Alot of people knew already, but it was confirmation)

That was so SELFISH of him to risk his career/life to let us know.
Honestly, asylum for him doesnt even matter-apparently the president could have him killed via drone strike if he wanted.

another person who had leaked classifies information was prosecuted recently. He was sentenced to life in prison. I think Russia saw that and said "nope.". Even they can see what we are doing is wrong.

Yeah, right... Russia saw Manning get convicted and they thought *gasp* they put him prison for life?!
Except Manning has been sentenced yet, but that's probably what's coming. This is Russia we're talking about, where if anyone pulled what Snowden or Manning did they'd get a firing squad.

Vitality has it right... it's the right time and right way to piss off the US. Russia doesn't think PRISM is wrong, they probably think we're fools for not taking it further.

Seems a little contradictory for a country that jails rock band performers for two years because they sing protest songs about church and state, no?

Seems a little contradictory for a country that jails rock band performers for two years because they sing protest songs about church and state, no?

Good god, that's one of the worst examples you could have pulled from the news. The "rock band" of three *****ic girls performed a swear-word filled song from the amvon of the main cathedral in Russia. Anything like this done in the US in a church, mosque or a synagogue would have resulted in charges of hate crime slapped on them. If those three girls had done it in front of the church, nothing would have happened to them. But they craved attention and decided to desecrate the holy of holies in Russia. Smart move...

P.S.: I'm not a church-going man.

Back