So, I think I have a rootkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslayer

upon startup of my windows xp os, i am informed that ViewMgr and Google Installer have both had a problem and must close. when i search for anything on anything (google, yahoo, alta vista, even) i get redirected to a number of websites (yellow pages, dex knows, etc.). and then eventually, i get a red shield with a white "x" through it telling me "you have a security problem!"

though i am pretty positive i never clicked on any ridiculous "stop spyware now" ad; i am still dealing with its consequence, and in a really rough way.

also, none of my virus protectors seem to be able to connect to the internet, this is even after downloading several new ones as well. AVG, Spyware Doctor, Spybot... it seems to have put a block on me using them properly, as well as other websites that may be usefull such as support.microsoft, and similar websites as this one such as bleepingcomputer.com in your 8 steps you have a program to download called malwarebytes, i downloaded that however it wont even let me run an install...it waits for it to open then nothing opens!!

please help

i have an older version of highjack this as the new version i tried getting went the same direction as malwarebytes, but i've attached a log file from there

I see a number of things - first of all please disable any real time protection/monitoring programs

Combofix
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.
Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Combofix is a very powerful tool so please do NOT do anything without instruction

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

I realize that you may not be able to download from bleeping computer so here is a link to the latest installer - This is only for you on this date - if for some reason I don't remove this link after you post nobody else should download this version at a later date - Alternative Download from my Site

ok so i got combofix, i can get it to the login admin screen (the second pop up after "run") then nothing happens. yesterday i was reading bleepingcomputer combofix walkthrough on a different computer and it mentioned i need service pack 2 present too complete the program.

during the last 2 years i lost my windows disks, and like i said earlier i cant get it off of support.windows because of the block... maybe thats why it wont work for me beyond that point? or maybe its just a block the virus has..

also, i have avg root kit - it finds 17 things in there but im afraid to delete them.. is there a way around that fear?

paste the 17 items here for me to reveiw

Also you hjt log shows: Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

Also

Remove bad HijackThis entries
  • Run HijackThis
  • Click on the System Scan Only button
  • Put a check beside all of the items listed below (if present):

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{90BF8224-CD63-4081-A4C7-EF9A2CF6596F}] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\B0EA9C14.exe"
  • Close all open windows and browsers/email, etc...
  • Click on the "Fix Checked" button
  • When completed, close the application.

Then navigate to and delete C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\B0EA9C14.exe

Now try and run combofix again

i know that i need sp2, but having moved about 7 times in the last 3 years, i have seemed to misplaced the windows disk; but on windows support you can download whichever service pack you need but i cannot connect there.

heres the best way i could think of presenting the avg rootkit since i cant copy paste results

I was saying according to your log you have SP2

Let it fix all those, those are all related to the same infection. They are all bad - I am 100% sure

Then run combofix and it should kill the driver for it.

Good work, we are getting there.

Run CFScript

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code box below into it:
NOTE* make sure to only highlight and copy what is inside the quote box nothing out side of it.
Also ..

Pay particular attention to this :-

Make sure the word File:: is on the first line of the text file you save (no blank line above it, & no space in front of it)
File::
c:\windows\system32\TDSSocsn.dl_
c:\windows\system32\TDSSrojf.dl_
c:\windows\system32\TDSSirry.dl_
c:\windows\system32\TDSSqrwn.lo_
c:\windows\system32\TDSSqekm.dl_
c:\windows\system32\TDSSwgqe.da_
c:\windows\system32\drivers\TDSSpcuu.sy_
c:\windows\system32\TDSSktkl.dl_

Folder::
c:\program files\Viewpoint

Save this as CFScript.txt

Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

CFScript.gif

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply'

==============================================

We need to get rid of one of the services running on your machine. To do this, copy (Ctrl +C) and paste (Ctrl +V) the text in the code box below to Notepad.

Code:
@echo off
sc stop Viewpoint Manager Service
sc delete Viewpoint Manager Service
del service.cmd and exit

Save it to your desktop as File name: service.cmd
Save as type: All Files

Once done, double click service.cmd to run it. A command window will open briefly, then close. This is quite normal.

==========================================

ATF.gif
ATF Cleaner by Atribune

• Please download ATF Cleaner to your desktop from HERE
  • Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it. Vista users: Right Click and Select Run as Administrator

• Under Main choose:
    Windows Temp
    Current User Temp
    All Users Temp
    Cookies
    Temporary Internet Files
    Prefetch
    Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
    Then click the Empty Selected button.

• Firefox or Opera installed:
    Click Firefox or Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

==================================================

At this point run the fresh hijackthis and attach along with the combofix log from part 1

Good,

Launch Hijackthis and Do a system scan only check the following item and select fix checked

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

close hijackthis.

=====================================================

We are going to run one more scan to be sure -> then we can clean up the tools we used, then we are going to talk about your security programs.

f_Logo1m_7c1b64d.png
Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner

In order to use it you have to use Internet Explorer.
Go to Kaspersky and click the Accept button at the end of the page.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
  • Read the Requirements and limitations before you click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Once the database has downloaded, click Next.
  • Click on "My Computer"
  • When the scan has completed, click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save - by default the file will be saved to your Desktop, but you can change this if you wish.
Attach the report into your next reply

Perfect, the only things found are what we removed with combofix, so those will be gone with this next step.

I wanted to let you know that unfortunately AVG no longer updates their version 7 definitions support has ended. In order to continue to get updates you should update to version 8 - version 8 is bundled with their anti rootkit and antispyware all in one.

===============================================

Uninstall Combofix
* Click START then RUN
* Now type Combofix /u in the runbox
* Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /u
* Then hit Enter.

* The above procedure will:
* Delete the following:
* ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
* Reset the clock settings.
* Hide file extensions, if required.
* Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
* Set a new, clean Restore Point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OTCleanit! by Oldtimer
  • Download OTCleanIt
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
    • It will go thorugh the list and remove all of the tools it finds and then delete itself (requiring a reboot).

Any other tools not removed can be removed manually

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  1. Set correct settings for files
    • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
    • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
    • If unchecked please check Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
    • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
    • Click OK

clear system restore points

• This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
      • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
      • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
      • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
      • Select the More options tab
      • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
      This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

2. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    2. Click once on the Security tab
    3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    5. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  3. Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

4. Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

5. Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

6. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.This is done in Vista through control panel -> windows updates.

7. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

• IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
  • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
    Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back