So Many 8800 GTX Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space_Cowboy

With all the various mfg flavors of the NVidia 8800 GTX, how do you know which is the better card? I've heard various opinions on XFX, BFG, Asus, etc, but nothing saying which one is better. Can anyone share any review comparison links?

Thanks!

They should all be just about the same. I would say go with the cheapest EVGA..as the tend to be very reliable.

evga is the cheapest, but they also let you upgrade with a trade in, my brother traded in his 7950 evga and only paid 150 usd to upgrade to the g80 gts. I myself stand behind BFG with their lifetime warranty, they replaced one of my old card even though I overclocked it further than what it was already factory overclocked. The g80 gts oc version is getting really good reviews though, you should check it out.

I've been hearing alot about eVGA on this forum lately.... Just lately, whats with the sudden interest in eVGA? I've not been seeing a sudden surge on advertising on their part....

But yes, you might want to look at the product bundle as well. Performance wise, you're talking about 1-2% in performance, which might be attributed to chance anyway (someone farthing at the back of the room might have changed the energy coefficient of the air around to cause it to cool an extra 1%... who knows?)

lol I just told you why evga, they're doin the upgrade thing. bad thing is, you had to own a evga card before the g80 dropped. gonna buy me an evga g80 bfor the g90 drops :)

Is that the only reason?

In that case, its not a good enough reason for me personally, because I tend to rip out their cooling, and put in something else. Which immediately voids warranty.

Also, don't tend to upgrade alot, I don't have the compulsive need to own the very best, just to read about it.

When I bought my 7800GS a while back, eVGA's version was clocked higher than the BFG version for the same price, and benchmarks showed it slightly faster. Nobody else offered one at such a high core and memory clock.

I dont know how evga is with warranties though, but bfg has one of the more quiet stock fans, for people that matter, mine is aftermark anyhow.

aftermarkets rock....

However, since I believe in bigger is better, my graphics card heatsink and fan combo takes up 2 extra PCI slots.... which means my graphics card take up 3 slots in total.

But it keeps it damn cool after overclock, and keep it damn quiet as well.

hot damn, lol too much space for me, I"m upset that my thermalright heatsink covers up a pci 1 slot lol.

well... the good thing is that the Hr-03 can be placed on either side of the graphics card, but it takes up 2 extra slots on that side.

Which is good. I really need to get a digital camera here, and show you how tight the whole thing is.... you'd be wondering how the hell I managed to fit everything in the case like it did....

i need to get the instrument that measure decibels(dont know the name) and show you how loud this damn thing is. Freaking F 22 at take off over here

And I got a fully overclocked setup, which I can barely hear over the ambient noise levels, which I can barely hear when its absolutely quiet when I lower fan speeds for the night.

I might get a microphone and record, but I don't think it'll pick up anything.

I just saw on the eVGA site, they now offer a lifetime warranty as BFG does. Is any one of the two faster than the other?

Bfg Xfx

BFG and XFX are my favs do to the liftime warranty as perviously stated.

They are a good bet if you plan on keeping the card for its usable life, if you like to keep up to date and buy the newest stuff soon as it comes out then eVGA is probably your best bet.

Aside from a few over clocked versions of the 8800's they are pretty much a horse a peice with no difference in performance in the standard GTS and GTX cards.

I believe that most processors bottleneck the gtx anyway, and althought it has a lot of memory, what game actually need that much memory. Unless you're running a 26" flat panel at full res and detail, lol

So here is my take from all your great responses:

If I entend on continually being on the bleeding edge of technology, go with eVGA being that you can do trade-ups.

If I'm going to keep a card for long term, BFG would be my best bet. And of course they have tons of their own versions of the 8800... sheesh!

The eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX is the best 8800 GTX. BFG is also a good manufacture, but I stand behind eVGA. Why, because I've had nothing but awesome service from them. Also the step-up program lets you get a newer card for a lower price. But only within 90 days after the original purchase.

EDIT: I would also like to add that eVGA has a lifetime warranty. Not only is there warranty better than BFG's but they let you overclock the video card, and change coolers on it without voiding the warranty.

sounds like evga is the winner then, I dont know if you read it, but if he's goin sli he might want to go gts oc sli benchmarks show its faster than the gtx in sli, i know it makes no sense but facts r facts i guess.

What? Thats weird, I guess that the 8800 GTX models are bottlenecked more than the 8800 GTS cards. Strange because I would never have though that.

beef_jerky4104 said:
What? Thats weird, I guess that the 8800 GTX models are bottlenecked more than the 8800 GTS cards. Strange because I would never have though that.

What do you mean 'bottlenecked'... not according to tech specs. The GTX has a faster mhz than the GTS.

That is correct. The 8800 GTX video cards are faster than the 8800 GTS series. However, it apperantly, the 8800 GTS in SLi mode beat SLi'ed 8800 GTXs. That is why I said "weird".

Space_Cowboy said:
What do you mean 'bottlenecked'... not according to tech specs. The GTX has a faster mhz than the GTS.

yeah, good thing is, it will save some money for us wanting to sli a g80 card, me I'm fine for now, maybe this summer, late summer that is .

I think the bottleneck has more to do with the CPU utilization. If you had a CPU which isn't the bottleneck, the dual 8800gtx sli would come on top...

I reckon the 8800gtx requires more CPU power to run, due to the extra cores, but don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back