So now I have a boot drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again - I posted the other day telling about how a usb cable/palm pilot shorted out my mobo. It wasn't the psu, as first suspected. I replaced the mobo and rebuilt the system. I reloaded windows today and had no problem logging on, but when the windows cd was removed, I was unable to. During boot up I get the error message about having a boot disc failure. Now, I reformatted the virtual C drive but not the virtual D drive on the same hard drive - is this a problem? It doesn't seem as though there is a failure as I'm able to log on to windows with the cd in place. I changed the bios settings as needed, only choosing the hard disk as boot disc. Do I need to reformat the entire physical drive and reload windows again? Not sure where to go at this point. Thanks again for the help the other day, it was appreciated.

"I reformatted the virtual C drive...

I really don't think you mean "virtual" drives. You can't boot into Windows using a "virtual" drive. Virtual hard drives are software images, that can only be accessed inside Windows after Windows has loaded.

Can you read and follow the instructions that are in RED at the bottom of my posts?

Jesus...

...lighten up Francis...sorry if I used the incorrect term. I had a drive that I split into two...I no longer have it as I tried an old Maxtor 30gb and it works just fine now. I hope that that I've now satisfied your requirements. Now, I'm gonna go get me a little...best of luck now.

Splitting a single hard drive into sections is called partitioning. C partition, D partition an so on. These are still physical drives not virtual drives. Your post was not clear, and If I didn't ask you for more info, the post would have gone with no replies at all because of the way you presented you problem here. Do you understand this?

check your physical connections to the hd, does it see the drive in BIOS?
If so, then your HD boot sector is corrupt. Run CHKDSK on your C partition. One running fine, use a good registry repair program like crap cleaner or glarysoft all the time. Both are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back