So, RAM...

By Sabis
Feb 28, 2008
  1. SO I made the ***** mistake of buying a 2.1 volt 4 gig kit to upgrade my system. Figured 64 bit vista should be running minimum 4 gigs to even bother having it and was sitting at 2 already. However, I forgot my old ram was 1.8 volt, and the system will not boot with both sets of stick in the slots. So, was wondering if their was a resolution for this that gets all 6 gigs online, or if I'm screwed and need to sell the old ram and buy a second 4 gig kit. I can get my system specs if needed, my mobo does allow overclocking is a Gigabyte DS4L but can't find individual slot voltages.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

please read the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum.
  3. Sabis

Sabis TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sure if I could find one for Vista. Found a memory tweaking one, but that's not what I need. I have a friend coming over to help me tonight, but will be back here later on anyway to see if I can get it fixed myself first. There msut be a way to change voltages on this stuff, but this is the first time I've had a system with the ability to any form of overclocking, so I'm rather hesitant to "experiment".
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

The guide does not refer to OS. It should not matter to an OS what ram you have except for the amount of ram you have.

read it again carefully.

It says not to MIX or match ram types.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.