So whats the point of a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought a Netgear router, as I have 1 PC and 2 laptops around the house and i thought that it would be great to have wireless internet on each of them. I have connected 1 laptop through a very small ethernet cable (supplied) into the router, which is connected to the DSL filter and into my phone line. I got the software working OK and internet running.

Now i want to know is, with all these wires and connections running about, which is the wireless part? I STILL have to bring my laptop near a telephone socket in order to connect??? My ISP is AOL and if i connect via their modem, its the same physical connection as my router! So whats the point? Or am i doing something wrong?

I also want to connect my PC and my other laptopn via this router, do i have to purchase additional ethernet cables?

Thanks in advance :)

Is it a wireless router? There should be one or two antennas attached. If not, then it's a wired-only router and you will have to buy something else to have wireless.

The man point of a router is that you will be able to get online with all your computers at the same time and the computers will be able to directly communicate with each other.

You will have to buy some more ethernet cables yourself if you want to have some freedom.

oh right, yes it has an antennae and it is wireless. But in what waY? So i have to get those extremely short ethernet cables to connect every PC/laptop to it in order for it to work? Or just 1 PC to an ethernet cable, and then the laptops can connect wirelessly with it if i just install the software? :confused:

You should Read The Friendly Manual on how to set up the router. You do need the ethernet cable for initial setup, but after the wireless has been configured, you can do away with the cables.

You don't need any extra software on any of the computers, provided they already have wireless adapters installed.

I think bonezzz gotta be pullen on a chic-ken neck
comon dude read that darn manual if you got a machine surf the web
you will be surprised what you can learn

thanks for ur help. i have now wireless installed on both laptops and everything is ok apart from 1 thing.. i get ping spikes when playing online games on both laptops. I have "Excellent" connection and it is 24 Mbps (according to router) and my ADSL is 1mbps. How can i eliminate this ping spike? I dont get it when i manually connect through an ADSL modem (what i had b4 the router).

i used to use a linksys router, there are certain ways to stablize your connection. Try finding the IP to access your routers commands. it should look like this 000.00.000.00 with numbers instead of 0's. Put this into your internet browser and voila! you can do lots of neato things with the router like add specific passwords or block ports. There are also ways to stablize your router by changing its frequency range.

Or else you just get out of range of the wirelessness.

Also, i don't know the science behind this, but i swear my cordless telephone interfeared with my wireless.

Wireless is unrealiable - no way around that. Use a wired connection if you want speed and stability.

Also, i don't know the science behind this, but i swear my cordless telephone interfeared with my wireless.

yes some chordless telephones will interfere with a wifi connection, and also puting it near a tv, radio, emf device, mobile phones.. anything that gives off a similar radio frequency or a harmonic of it (sometimes). usualy overcome by setting your wifi adapters to a different channel or mode.... or moving it away from the object.

I used to have a phone that ran at 2.4 GHz that would always mess up my wireless signal. (which was 2.4GHz as well IIRC)

Had to upgrade to 5.8GHz phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back