Socket 939 - compatiable with standard agp card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

I'm building my latest system and am currently eyeing the components I'll need, with thoughts about longevity, I'll be purchasing a socket 939 mobo but don't know if its compatiable with standard agp gfx cards like my leadtek 6800 - can anyone enlighten me?

You can get the socket 939 mobo's with either AGP or PCI-E slots. I've got an Abit AV8 socket 939 with AGP. Just make sure you look at the specs and get the right one.

As far as longevitiy, you know that PCI-E is the newest type. If you are looking for longevity, get one with a PCI-E slot, but then you'd have to get a new video card also as they are not compatible.

Thanks for the reply olefarte, I've acted on your info and have ordered an asus 939 mobo with pci-e, as for my 128meg 6800 agp, I'm putting that up for sale and hope to cobble enough money together to buy the pci-e equivilant but I have to ask - does pci-e offer a significant improvement in terms of performance over agp?

Pci-e is faster, but current cards don't even max out agp 8x, so as of now, there isn't much point to pci express' speed, but it does give you better future compatibility, and future cards may need the bandwitdth it offers. Also some pci-e versions of same model cards are made to run faster in pci-e form. Like the 6600gt, in pci-e it's 500 core 1000 memory, but agp it's 500 core and 900 memory, so it is faster in pci-e but only because it's clocked higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back