Socket A on future Athlon processors?

By Svoboda
Feb 8, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering if future athlon procs, like the "Sledgehammer" and "Clawhammer" were going to be Socket A, also does anyone know when they are coming out?

Thanks, -Bourbon
  2. TSDMK

TSDMK Newcomer, in training

The *hammers are based on a 64bit/32bit architechture so I would think a new platform would be needed to take advantage of the 64bit chip...
  3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Sledgehammer and Clawhammer are one in the same. (Or are they?) I know for a fact that these will not use Socket A for the simple reason they use 64-bit architectures. As for when they're coming out, It'd be safe to say 3rd-4th quarter 2002.
  4. Svoboda

Svoboda Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 92

i think the clawhammer is supposed to be a server proc?
  5. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

McKinley is the server processor. As for the seperate Hammers, I haven't heard.
  6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I'm not sure the Hammer is gonna need a different socket, the AMD roadmaps brag a lot about the fact that it doesn't change the socket with every processor change (I'm sure they weren't thinking of Intel when saying that ;) ).
  7. Svoboda

Svoboda Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 92

didou, thats what i was thinking, do any of the moderators know??
  8. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

With all the functionality of the northbridge, apart from AGP, being moved to on-die I don't think that the hammers will be on socketA. I would be very surprised if they were.
  9. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

The *HAMMER* range of CPU's will use a new socket...

Though the die shrunken Palomino CPU code-named Thoroughbred (.13 micron core) will still use Socket A...

Atleast that's why I have heard...
  10. Bill The Cat

Bill The Cat Newcomer, in training

I would think it would have to have a new socket. It will have double the address/data lines to access. I wonder if they will be able to even use a 4 layer M/B. They may be able to use the same memory but might have to use pairs like the older motherboards that used to use bank simms untill they make different meory modules. Just guessing, can't wait to see the first M/B's for them. These should be some very fast systems
  11. Bobes

Bobes Runner Posts: 72

Actually I contacted AMD a couple of months ago about this, and they said it is possible but not confirmed. Maybe Socket A will be kept at the start and then phased out?

12. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

First viewing of Hammer CPUS at Intel Developer Forum

I think we can safely say that the Hammers won't be making use of Socket A motherboards...
  13. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TechSpot Maniac Posts: 378

w00t this is a very old thread. I remember discussions with my friends about the 64 bit future. (And still we are waiting a true 64 bit OS from ol' Bill) Yup. The good ol days of Socket A. Simple days when AGP was cool and you would be burned alive for speaking about something called PCI-Express replacing AGP. Haha. Yup...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.