SoftBank buys robot maker Boston Dynamics for undisclosed sum

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rumors circulated a little over a year ago that executives at Google parent company Alphabet Inc. were looking to part ways with Boston Dynamics, the engineering and robotics design firm best known for creating some of the most advanced (and creepy) robots the world has ever seen.

Amazon and Toyota Research Institute were named as two potential suitors but in the end, it was Japanese telecommunications company SoftBank that scored the acquisition.

Masayoshi Son, Chairman and CEO of SoftBank Group, said smart robotics are going to be a key driver of the next stage of the information revolution. The executive added that Marc Raibert and his team at Boston Dynamics are the clear technology leaders in advanced dynamic robots and that he is thrilled to welcome them to the SoftBank family.

Raibert echoed similar sentiments, noting that Boston Dynamics is excited to be part of SoftBank’s bold vision. He said they look forward to working with SoftBank in their mission to push the boundaries of what advanced robots can do and to create useful applications in a smarter and more connected world.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Boston Dynamics has been creeping out the collective Internet for more than two years with videos showcasing its robots’ advancing capabilities. Its most recent robot, Handle, is ridiculously impressive (yet it’s still classified as the stuff of nightmares).

As part of the deal with Alphabet, SoftBank has also agreed to acquire Japanese bipedal robotics company Schaft.

SoftBank last summer purchased chipmaker ARM for $31 billion. Last month, the company reportedly amassed a $4 billion stake in Nvidia.

Permalink to story.

Japan is now another step closer to Gundams while America only cares about dollar signs.

Well said ..... we continue to essentially give up our leadership role in so many industries one has to wonder how we are still considered the leader of the free world. I also notice few, if any claims and zero actions to bring so many of these companies back to our shores, thus proving once again that the current POTUS and his administration are just another paper tiger ......

Well said ..... we continue to essentially give up our leadership role in so many industries one has to wonder how we are still considered the leader of the free world. I also notice few, if any claims and zero actions to bring so many of these companies back to our shores, thus proving once again that the current POTUS and his administration are just another paper tiger ......
HEY HEY HEY!!! Leave tigers out of this!!! ;P

Japan is now another step closer to Gundams while America only cares about dollar signs.

Suggesting that the current administration has the integrity of a paper tiger is an insult to the tiger.

I do agree on the lack of vision. It is incredibly frustrating. We should be working to lead the world in robotics, medicine, green energy, ece. We are giving up all of our advancements to other countries because of $$$.

what about DARPA? I'm sure they lead in robotics.

what about DARPA? I'm sure they lead in robotics.

Just an FYI .... DARPA doesn't actually build anything, but they do fund and manage many related projects and looking back, they actually have a pretty decent track record, especially when you consider they will look at even the wildest idea's and try to put them to practical purposes.

Hey, Shawn, you're the only one on here calling these things creepy. In fact, in every article you right about robots, you never fail to bring up your anxieties about Boston Dynamics' products. I'm guessing you watched the Terminator a few too many times while growing up.

Getting back on topic: I'll be very surprised if the sale actually finalizes. The reason Toyota walked away - even through half of Toyota's robotics dept is filled with Boston Dynamics Alumni - was because of all the hoops the DOD was going to make them jump through. BD competes on military contracts, and has done most of its R&D through DOD funding. Exporting the entire company will be a real trick. My guess is if this deal falls through, which I am also betting it will, Amazon will snap them up at a much lower price than whatever it was just valued at. They're pretty much the only American buyer, it is in their interest to just play the waiting game and get BD at a bargain.

Back