TechSpot

Software available for direct hookup to friends pc.

By rockinmypc
Jul 31, 2007
  1. I frequently help my friends fix their computers. Is there any software/capability to be able to run a firewire/ethernet cable to their pc and access their computer. I'm sure there is software out there I am just not sure of it. All suggestions would be helpful. I am to the point where it would be easier with the amount of computers i work on, to hook up my laptop to access there stuff.

2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

cat5 crossover cable will hook 2 pc's together. You don't need any extra software.
    Are you wanting to access their shares? Or are you wanting to take control of their desktop? 2 very different things.

3. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

Also, there is no need to post the same question more than once on this site!

4. rockinmypc

rockinmypc TS Rookie Topic Starter

my fault on the posting twice. I'm a member on a few php/vb forums and they all want records in each "relating" category. I realize that cat5 is easy to connect with, i do network work here at work/home. I guess what i want is some freeware/shareware i can access their desktop with so i can do all the work remote from my pc. My family counts on me to do their computer fixes/work while i'm away. I need something simple so they dont have to install anything, i can control them from my end.

Thanks,

Hunter

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,348   +622

Look for PCanywhere

the issue will be talking the remote system owner into configuring the firewall
    for a desktop level access.

6. rockinmypc

rockinmypc TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Jobeard! PCanywhere was my first choice, however my family has more than one computer, not including my brothers and sisters PCs. I guess what i need is a remote desktop that requires no software to be installed on their side, just their ip address and no firewall. That way i can work on their computers while they sit, watch, and dont touch anything.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,348   +622

you control which PC you connect to via the router at that remote site;
    use port forwarding from the router to the specific LAN ip address.
    the ports are documented in PCanywhere.

doing any/all remotes without intervention at the router is not possible!
    as it's a router issue, not software or pc issues.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.