TechSpot

Solid state drives will soon outpace traditional HDDs in notebooks

By Shawn Knight
Aug 30, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve shopped for a new notebook recently, you’re well aware of the fact that solid state storage is becoming much more commonplace – a trend that’s only going to accelerate at a rapid pace over the coming years.

DRAMeXchange, a division of market analyst TrendForce, said in its most recent report that SSD adoption rate in the global notebook market hit 25 percent last year. The firm estimates that to climb to 33 percent this year with a forecast of 44 percent and 56 percent by 2017 and 2018, respectively.

In the immediate future (the third quarter), DRAMeXchange says NAND flash will be in short supply and TLC flash memory prices will remain high. As such, total client-grade SSD shipments for the quarter are projected to increase by around two to three percent.

Solid state drives as we know them today first appeared about a decade ago. Early drives were incredibly expensive and you had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the most out of them as operating systems like Windows simply weren’t designed with them in mind. While performance in some scenarios was impressive, users also had to contend with issues and limitations like subpar endurance (both in terms of health and performance) as well as small capacities.

A decade of refinements has completely changed the game. Sure, you’ll still pay more for a SSD versus a HDD and drives will wear out over time but the performance they afford is absolutely worth the investment.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Guru Posts: 368   +319

Good thing to have happen, HDDs in consumer machines need to go away. Prosumers have a use for them, but your average user has no need of a rust spinner.

Too bad they will never fully replace HDDs, since you cant artificially limit an AMD notebook with SSDs they way you can with HDDs.

Reehahs likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,548   +2,894

I'm not following why you specified "AMD notebook".

4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,505   +498

The average user doesn't download things anymore, normally streams or play on the phone, which is great and safer (Looking at you Ares) bringing less issues for users. SSDs really have come a long way, being more accessible and obviously the form factor helps a lot on the mobility segment, consuming less energy and space.

He said prosumers... I stopped trying to follow it right away.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,660   +767

Well, isn't that pretty obvious? Certainly can't call this an earth shattering development .... the real story would have to be "what's next?".

6. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,654   +308

Or, rather, to extrapolate geometric if not exponential growth...

7. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Guru Posts: 368   +319

What;s the matter, "prosumers" trigger you or something?
    OEMs have a tendency to gimp AMD notebooks specifically with poor parts. Look at lenovo's thinkpad E lineup. The AMD models have 768p screens with no 1080p option, 5400RPM hard drives, and a amd 340x GPU, while the identical intel model has a 7200RPM hard drive and SSD option, a 1080p screen option, and has a 360x GPU. Dell, HP, ece do the same thing. AMD notebooks have a tendency to end up with worse parts without the upgrade options. but even the worst SSD in mass production right now is still pretty decent, so you couldnt give the AMD model noticeably worse performance without HDD options.

8. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 398   +207

Soon?

Sh*t ... it's happening now.

9. BadThad

BadThad TS Enthusiast Posts: 62   +28

Finding a cheap laptop with an SSD is IMPOSSIBLE. I've been though this twice this month with customers. The mfgs are only putting SSD's in their expensive laptops. I just completed a Toshiba 15" i5 system and it was ~$800 with a 500GB SSD. For people looking to keep costs down, I've been swapping out the crappy 5400 hard drives with 250GB SSD's which takes a good bit of time to do. Even worse, laptop mfgs are now burying the HDD instead using the "more expensive" and simple bottom panel cover. This makes swapping the HDD a PITA!

10. BrianMontanye

BrianMontanye TS Enthusiast Posts: 43   +21

AMD was and is the budget king of processors. This is why it gets the low budget drives and other hardware. Until they put out a challenge to the Intel chips, this will remain the same.

11. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 907   +382

Switched to an SSD in my laptop about 4-5 months ago. Just like having a new laptop :)

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +353

The solid state product will re-imagine paradigms and demonstrate win-win performance and bleeding-edge performance for prosumer marketing. Skate to where the puck is.

13. Raoul Duke

Prosumer
    noun
    noun: prosumer; plural noun: prosumers; noun: pro-sumer; plural noun: pro-sumers
    1. an amateur who purchases equipment with quality or features suitable for professional use.
    "the magazine is aimed at the prosumer who uses a $10,000 camera to make home movies of his dog"

14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,548   +2,894

15. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,505   +498

On my dictionary it was more on the end of: Enthusiasts who buy products (almost always technical) that fall between professional and consumer grade standards in quality, complexity, or functionality.

If you buy a cheap AMD computer that is "artificially limited", it has nothing of prosumer in any term and your post makes no sense whatsoever and your presumptuousness and using big words incorrectly didn't help at all. Also what sense would make to add a $100-150 drive to a $300-400 cheap notebook to "not limit it artificially", none, at all.

16. BadThad

BadThad TS Enthusiast Posts: 62   +28

In the $300-500 range. You posted refurbs with old CPU's and tiny128GB SSD's, those don't count. I was talking about brand new, modern CPU laptops with a 500GB SSD.

17. Raoul Duke

It's from a Wall Street Journal computer Business Jargon generator used to make fun of business jargon....like prosumer