Solved:Another Whataboutadog infection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffInDFW

I have the full McAfee AV suite. It keeps automatically removing "Downloader-BEW". I also found the Whataboutadog website in my IE7 history.

I have read the other threads on this subject here, and will try to be as efficent as possible. Thank you in advance.

I ran DelO15Domains.inf

I ran and will include HJT log and FindAWF logs here.

Attachments

• awf.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Right click on this link DelO15Domains.inf and choose Save As. Save it to your desktop. Right click on that file and choose Install. It will run immediately (you won't be able to see anything happen). You may delete it afterwards. NOTE: This script will delete any sites you may have added to the Trusted Sites. So if you want them back, you have to add them back to the Trusted Sites again.

Double-click FindAWF.exe to start the tool. Then, do the following
Select "option #2 - Restore files from bak folders" by typing 2 and press Enter .
A text file will open up. Please copy/paste the following text from the quote box (all except the word QUOTE) into the text file.
"C:\Program Files\iTunes\bak\iTunesHelper.exe"
"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\bak\qttask.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bak\ctfmon.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bak\DSentry.exe"
"C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\bak\atiptaxx.exe"
"C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\bak\MskAgent.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\bak\SynTPEnh.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\bak\SynTPLpr.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\bak\WkUFind.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\bak\realsched.exe"

Close the .txt file and click Yes to save the changes.
When the tool has completed, a report will open up in notepad. Please post the results of the awf.txt in your next reply as an attachment.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of JeffInDFW only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

First step done

I ran the program to delete the list of trusted sites. The log you requested is below. Bless you for your help.

***Please note: It is now late, and I am heading to bed. I will continue tomorrow evening. I will put my computer into standby so as to not cause us more problems while we work on this set of issues. Again, thanks for your help.***

Please double-click the FindAWF icon once again
This time we are going to remove some folders.

Use the following option: Press 3 then Enter to remove bak folders

A text file opens called: folders.txt
Click below the line and paste the following list of folders to be removed:
C:\Program Files\iTunes\bak
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\bak
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bak
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\bak
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\bak
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\bak

Next, close and click Yes to save the changes.

When done with the above, FindAWF automatically runs a new scan and opens a new log that you need to post.
Please provide the new FindAWF log.

This thread is for the use of JeffInDFW only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Unfortunately, there`s still some bak files left to deal with.

Double-click FindAWF.exe to start the tool. Then, do the following
Select "option #2 - Restore files from bak folders" by typing 2 and press Enter .
A text file will open up. Please copy/paste the following text from the quote box (all except the word QUOTE) into the text file.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\bak\realsched.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\bak\WkUFind.exe"

Close the .txt file and click Yes to save the changes.
When the tool has completed, a report will open up in notepad. Please post the results of the awf.txt in your next reply as an attachment.

Regards Howard :)

Option 2 redo

Good to hear from you again, Howard. I have 340 gig of hard drive, so it takes a while to run these scans! Sorry it takes me so long to reply back. I redid Option 2 as you requested, and log is attached.

Please double-click the FindAWF icon once again
This time we are going to remove some folders.

Use the following option: Press 3 then Enter to remove bak folders

A text file opens called: folders.txt
Click below the line and paste the following list of folders to be removed:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\bak
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\bak

Next, close and click Yes to save the changes.

When done with the above, FindAWF automatically runs a new scan and opens a new log that you need to post.
Please provide the new FindAWF log

Well done, that`s now clean.

Now, in the interests of making sure there`s nothing else malicious hiding on your system, please do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

As instructed

It took a while, but I followed each step. The Panda came back as all clear. All the other steps came back clear. Here are the log files requested.

All clean mate.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Howard. I can not imagine how much time you invest in helping people here that you will never meet. I wish there was *something* I could do to return the kindness you showed me in helping me through this problem. My machine would never work properly if you had not. I know we will never meet......but I do believe in "passing it on". In the near future, someone will need my help with something that I *AM* good at, that will take a lot of time and effort on my part. I will agree to help them, as a way to "pass it on" to them for the time and effort you put into helping me.

Thank you again, Howard. I wish you well.

No problem mate, it was my pleasure.

That`s what Techspot is all about. Getting and givving help when we can.

This thread is now closed: If you need this thread unlocking, please pm a moderator with a link to the thread.

Only the original thread starter can do this. Anyone else, will be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back