Some big problems - Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRA

Ok let me start by saying thank god I found this board, I know a fair bit about computers but when things go wrong I dont know anyone personally, who I can ask.

Ive recently had a virus, beast 2.02, ive got rid of it, i scan my system for trojans every time i open windows, so i dont think its a trojan, I have Norman Anti Virus running in the background, whether that runs constantly and can detect viruses on you're PC without being told to scan, ive no idea.

Ive got Windows XP.

But Basically my problem resides in Kazaa, I cant open it from the desktop, I double click on it and I just get the hour-glass timer from then on, the only way I can rid of the hour glass timer is by logging off.

The only way I have of accessing Kazaa is when I log on, it should load up auto-matically in the bottom right, I get the logo and can open it from there, but sometimes that doesnt even work. Ive tried Un-intalling then re-intalling it many times over, the same problems occurs.

Help much appreciated :grinthumb :) :(

Having KaZaa on your PC means it is riddled with Spyware and probably a virus or 2 (if not more). Uninstall KaZaa.
Get Adaware and Spybot S&D and run them to clean up KaZaa's mess.
Now make a backup/image of your clean PC.

Then think twice if you REALLY need KaZaa and cannot get what you want somewhere else.
If you must, reinstall KaZaa's latest version, it will probably work OK.
Saver though, if you have an old PC with e.g. W98 on it, use that for downloading your Kazaa Stuff, then (after a thorough virus-check) transfer your downloads to your main-PC.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply and all that.

I have Spy Spot search and destroy currently, nothing comes up when I search, alot used too but I got rid of it.

The Kazaa I have is the latest one, ive tried installing and re-intalling but the problem seems to keep occuring.

I will take you're advice into account though, Im certainly thinking of ridding of it all together, I have WinMX, does this have similar problems to Kazaa?

Thanks again.

Personally I refuse to upgrade from my Win2000 Pro, so I don't know XP or even MX(Multimedia XP?).
If at all, I probably go Linux, have just D/L'd Mandrake 9.2 which I am going to try on an old Pentium II 300 that I have lying about.

Maybe someone else can answer your KaZaa/MX question?

I would say go pick up the kazzaa light. That one doesnt have near as much spyware. Then after installing kazzaa light, I run ad-aware and it all works out great.

It sounds like there is a problem in your registry with Kazaa, if it only runs sometimes and other times it doesn't work at all. If you uninstall it, take a look at your registry and make sure that every instance of kazaa is deleted from it. Then reinstall it and hopefully it works better.

Definately get rid of the KaZaA you have now and do a search for "klitekpp241e" on google and find a place to download it, it should be 2.89MB in size. It is the lastest version of KaZaA Lite out there and the best one of all. Absolutely no spyware and it has plenty of tools to help you find the files you are looking for.

realblackstuff: WinMX is just like KaZaA in that it is a P2P file sharing program but it connects to a different type of peer network. There are definately less people that use it but you have less of a change of getting bogus files and I dont think the RIAA has started targeting user of it yet....

Niether of these programs have spyware:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back